30. o n e m o r e h o u r

may 17, 1986

"what if we-"

"nope," robin interrupted, waving her hands. "i think we just need to stop pursuing bea."

everyone was anxiously scattered around the cabin living room. without a doubt, their opposition knew where they were, they were just being generous. they had nowhere else to go at the moment so they waited as they looked for a new home base

eleven was quiet. she always knew bea would eventually go back to him. she didn't want to kill her, but she didn't want to let hopper, mike, or any of the others down. mike finally confirmed it. he loved her. and she wasn't risking losing that.

hopper agreed. "it is too risky to pursue any of them." he looked to joyce. "even will. we know the extent vecna is willing to go for beatrice. he spared us this time. there is no guarantee he'll do the same next time. especially if something happens to bea."

joyce looks at him in disbelief. "that is my son in there!"

jonathan spoke up, "it's not like they are holding him against his will. i know some of us think he's been brainwashed," he shot a glance to mike. "but it is really not likely. i found a torn up letter in the trash the other day offering him a place with them if he wanted...he wanted to go."

jonathan felt like it was partly his fault will felt the need to leave. he should've talked to him. he should've talked to both of them. maybe stood up for them. it was too late now.

"oh, and mike, you need to stop interfering just because you think your girlfriend is more powerful than vecna and bea. she isn't and you are just pushing it."

mike goes to interrupt, standing up, but eleven tugged his sleeve. "no, mike. he's right. they are very powerful. i am not as strong. i need to practice."

mike huffs as he flops down, muttering under his breath.

"we need to start playing offense not defensive," steve suggests, throwing his arms around. "we are getting our asses kicked."

dustin snarkily adds, "he would know about getting his ass kicked."

steve shoots him a glare.

"we need to sit on the sidelines for right now. we are messing with a whole bunch of shit we don't understand," hopper commands.

"what about will?" joyce sighs. jonathan looks to his hands as the guilt set in.

"if we bring him home, he'll probably hate us from taking him away from them. it's not worth it," nancy stated, rubbing jonathan's back.

bea sat in the chair. her entire body was sore and she just wanted to crumble up into a ball. she rested her elbows on the table in front of her. she rubbed the back of her aching neck.

peter placed a mug of tea on the table in front of her. the two teenagers were asleep in their rooms upstairs. the lights in the house were dim. she reached for the mug and took a sip.

peter sat next to her, grasping her free hand. bea moved her chair closer to his.

"how was work?" she joked, knowing he was away, trying to get stronger and fix the max situation.

"i'm making progress. i think i have a solution," he said as she leaned her head on his shoulder. he planted a kiss on her cheek. her pale cheek flushed.

"that's great, peter."

he looked down to her, smiling, "how was your day?"

"it was alright," she smiled back. "the boys helped me move furniture and decorations."

peter looked around at the newly furnished house. "it looks great. i take it, the boys are adjusting well."

"they're amazing. i helped them decorate their rooms and i think they like helping me around the house."

peter was always worried about her. she took quite the beating at the trailer park. she had a concussion and a shit ton of cuts and bruises when he finally got to her. he tried to heal her as much as he could but it could only do so much. she was a fighter though.

"how are you feeling today, dear? any better?"

she shrugged her shoulders. "okay, i guess."

"darling, you don't have to lie to me," peter said, comfortingly. she didn't want him to worry too much about her.

"everything aches," she complained.

peter briefly lets go of her hand, standing up. "let's get you to bed, hmm?"

she nods, following him to their room. she changed into comfortable clothes she had made as peter showered. she crawled into bed.

peter walked back into the bedroom wearing his nightwear. he sat beside her, the lamp next to him illuminated his features.

beatrice was in awe. she finally got him back. her peter. he was real. her family was real now. she was home.

he laid beside her, turning off the lamp. she curled up into peter. he embraced her, pulling her closer. the warmth of his body assured her that this was no longer a dream.

they were both grasping each other as if they were air and they couldn't breathe. they were both scared the other would disappear from their arms so they never wanted to let go.

"what would i do without you?" he spoke, softly.

she groggily giggled. "i love you."

"i love you too," he replied planting a kiss on her head.