39. a p e a r l

january 13, 1987

radio silence. that's all they got in the overworld. they have tried almost everything to slow down the spread. they attempted to close the gate, but it always opens right back up like nothing happened.

they couldn't stop them. peter was too powerful now.

"this feels hopeless. at this point, i just want to enjoy the time we have left," lucas sighs, rubbing his tired eyes.

lately, no one has been sleeping well. too many changes have occurred in a short period of time. the bats have started swarming around town, the clouds were always dark, and the particles in the air were becoming more abundant.

"i really don't want to think about it right now, lucas. change the subject, please," dustin said, sitting on his bed.

lucas faces him. "we need to talk about it, dustin! i understand you are still upset about eddie, but this is our lives we are talking about. i'm not trying to down play your feelings, dude. i know he was important to you, but he will be alive and well and that is much more than i can say for us."

dustin tries to calmly reply. "get out of my house, lucas."

"but-"

"get the fuck out!"

lucas shakes his head, clenching his jaw. he grabs his backpack and talks out.

dustin sits back down. none of it was worth it anymore. dustin felt like he was falling behind everyone. the world was crashing down, literally and figuratively.

"this feels like hell," bea said, covering her face with her arm. she was surrounded with pillows and blankets and was cooped up in her bedroom. she had been plagued with migraines and other symptoms for weeks. her stomach was more swollen than it had been months before. on her nightstand, a vase held her favorite flowers: calendulas and alliums picked by will from bea's small garden.

"i know, my love. just a few more months," peter assured her, holding her hand.

"where are the boys?" she questioned, turning her head to him.

"outside exploring," he replied, looking toward the bedroom window. bea's gaze followed. she could see will and eddie running around the surrounding forest.

she smiled, brightly at the sight. she didn't know what she would do without them. peter brushes a finger to her cheek. he loved her smile. he would give her anything.

"is there anything else i can do for you, dear?" he mumbled, kissing the top of her head.

"i know you have to finish a few more things up with the gates and the boys' training, but can you just stay with me for a minute?"

"of course."

bea scoots back and peter climbs in the sheets. "just a bit longer and hawkins will be taken care of and then a few months for the little pumpkin," peter sighs, holding her close to his chest, careful of her growing stomach.

she looked to him. "what do you think? boy or girl?"

peter rested his hands on her baby bump. he could sense the child within. he couldn't tell for certain, but he thought the baby was a boy.

"i think a boy."

she smiled, tiredly, eyes beginning to close. "me too. i can't wait to meet him."

"neither can i," peter smiled into her hair.

january 14, 1987

eleven couldn't stop beating herself up about the situation. why did she let mike take control over her? why didn't she stick up for bea? for will?

she knew her world was coming to an end and she accepted it. weren't the heroes supposed to win? were they truly the heroes of this story?

"kid, you okay?" hopper asked, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

"thinking," she replied, blankly. "i can't save us anymore."

hopper's gaze softened. "that's okay. you don't always have to save the day."

"what is the plan?" she asked, turning her attention to him.

"...we...we don't have a plan. we are playing defense now. no more hits first."

"why?" she paused for a second. "why play at all? they will spare those who follow along."

"it's unlike-"

"bea will. bea will spare people."

"we'll see."

eleven stands up, hopper's arm falling off her shoulder. "i'm going to my room."

"okay, kiddo. don't forget you can always talk to me."

eleven smiles, opening the door. "i know, dad. thanks."

she walked into her cooler room. the cold air brushed against her paler skin as the door slammed behind her. the sound of the leaky roof echoed her head. she closed her eyes, covering then with her arm. she focused on the rhythmic drops.

she opened her eyes and she was in the void again. it had been a while. she approached a bedroom set. suddenly, a familiar raven haired woman appeared, sitting on the bed.

"eleven."