40. a p o c a l y p s e

january 20, 1987

it would spread like wildfire. then it will be like humans never existed. everything was ready. it was time.

"are you sure you're okay to come?" peter asked, leaning on the doorframe of their bedroom. "you can always stay home and we can come get you later."

bea pulls her boots onto her feet. "i'm fine. i just want to be there. i wouldn't miss it for the world!"

peter smiles at her. "alright, dear. i'll grab the boys and we'll meet you outside."

bea was hesitant. eleven had come to her, begging her to tell her what to do to make things right. it was too late. they were too late. bea felt for her. stupid boyfriend. daddy issues. however, bea had no plans to stop what has already started. her final happy ending.

bea pulled the sleeves of the coat over her arms. she took a look in the mirror. she looked healther than she did the same time last year. she felt healthier. she once ghostly pale skin was now coloured with pigment. where her ribs would show the outline of her bones was now filled.

she brushed a hand over her baby bump. she finally had what she hoped and dreamed for. a family. a true family. one that wouldn't leave or hurt her. everything was going to be alright.

it was interesting how much time could change a person.

"is that the last of it?" hopper asked, shoving the last box into argyle's van. they had three cars full.

hawkins was being evacuated by the government. they couldn't figure out which side of the schism ordered it, but they knew they needed to leave. the wheeler, mayfield, henderson, and sinclair families had already left town. the announcement stated there had been a 'toxic leak' and the whole town had to evacuate at risk of death.

dark clouds covered the small town, shielding it from the harsh sun. the air was bitter against eleven's skin.

"that should be it. we need to go now," joyce replied, she threw jonathan the keys to one of the cars and hopped into the van.

evacuation wouldn't do anything. hawkins' heroes knew that. they were just prolonging the inevitable. eleven hopped in the passenger seat of hopper's car.

"i know you visited her," he said, giving her a weak smile.

eleven nods. "i just wanted to talk."

"you've done all you can, el. she's made her choice," he replies, starting up the car.

"i know. i want to understand," el replies, resting her head on the window. "i did not understand before. i do now."

hopper drapes his arm on the wheel, listening to her speak.

"everyone treated them badly because they were different. they understand each other. they think they will be happier this way. better. he tried to get me to see this. i was too small then."

the car was silent. hopper nodded in response, taking her silence as a sign to drop it.

"alright, kid. let's get moving."

bea grips peter's hand as they make their way through the gate. she smiled brightly. the area was already deserted. will and eddie followed behind the couple, happily.

the skies swirled as they walked down the empty road. the air became a comfortable chill. protecting them was the army of bats surrounding them.

they made their way through the desolate streets to the center of town, where all the gates connected.

peter squeezes bea's hand, lightly. "ready, dear?"

bea looks back to will and eddie with a smile. they return the gesture. "ready as i'll ever be."

peter closed his eyes. the ground beneath their feet began to shake. the ground they stood on broke off from the earth and lifted them to see over the town. will saw cars rushing to escape out the town limits.

bea closed her eyes too. a streak of blood fell from her nose. the center of the town became flooded with their army of creatures. what was once the overworld became their desired world.

it was beautiful. bea opened her eyes as the world around them began to change. she swiped the streak of blood off her upper lip. what was once busy streets was now covered in vines and trees. greedy government buildings were became rivers. disruptive businesses were now part of nature.

peter altered the image of his world to fit her dream world. the world was becoming his kingdom and anything that she needed would be at her fingertips.

she wanted to spare a life? spared at an instant. a palace of gold? done. a peaceful world to raise her children? whatever she wanted.

eddie watched a government cars rushed into the ever growing change, but they were no match. peter overpowered them easily. the bad men couldn't hurt them. not anymore.

will cringed at the thought of being poked and prodded. he knew that's what they had been through.

"where will they go?" will asked peter.

peter opened his eyes. "another dimension, i suppose. similar to our old home, governed by my army. your mother asked that they be spared in a way. she is too kind for what the world had done to her, but i can't say no to her. we talked and we might allow some people to join us later. those willing to adapt to this new way of life. it will be difficult for people to break that horrible cycle."

"what's our new way of life?"

"you know how great life was in the cottage?" will nods in response. "similar to that. no rules, no jobs, no government, no corruption. we are not slaves to corporations and governments here. we are free. how do you think that sounds, son?"

will knows he deserves this. the word 'free' appealed to him. he wanted to love who he wanted, free of judgement. from his peers, from his biological father, from his 'friends'. true freedom. he smiled, "sounds great."

the clouds spread rapidly from hawkins, throughout the rest of the earth, wiping the corrupt clean off the surface. the broken earth they stood on lowered onto their new home.

peter's grasp on bea's hand lightened. he looked over at her, smiling at her hopeful reaction. "go ahead and find a spot for our home and we'll get settled in," he says to his family. "i'll finish the last few things and find you. boys, look out for her. in her state..."

"i'll be fine, peter," she replied, rolling her eyes.

the sky turned lavender as the sun began to set. the dark clouds cleared and the surrounding nature settled. bea grasps eddie and will's hands. the world was finally at peace for the first time in billions of years. the animals and surrounding nature were no longer in danger or at risk of extinction. instead of the city lights and smog, the stars could finally be seen.

this was the start of their new lives. their happy ending.