34. mom and dad are fighting

"UNCLE TOMMY!" Nancy exclaimed happily as soon as the front door to her Uncle's house opened, revealing the beaming man who appeared surprised yet pleased by her random visit. "How are ya?"

Nancy's smile was tight while she greeted him, posture frigid as she saw bodies move around the side of his house from the corner of her eye. Although Ringo had volunteered to be the 'distraction' that kept Tommy unaware of the fact the rest of the group were about to rob him blind, it was ultimately decided that Nancy was a far better liar than she was. More than likely, Ringo Wheeler would have ended up spilling everything to Tommy and inviting him to join them in their escapades.

"This is a welcome surprise! Come in, come in!" He ushered her inside, to which Nancy stepped inside hesitantly and glanced curiously back toward the direction she saw the others sneak off to. "It's not safe out here these days, I have a theory that the lizards in our government are involved, I'll tell you all about it..."

Steve, Robin, Eddie and Ringo were the ones chosen to conduct the grand heist. It was an area Steve and Ringo were particularly knowledgeable in, after the duo had to break into a drug dealer's house to retrieve their own car keys on their road trip to Florida. This would be a rather less dangerous and messy affair, however, and the primary cause of danger in letting the younger members of their group near weapons was eliminated entirely. The teenagers had protested that they wanted to join and pick out weapons of their own, only stopping once Steve had thrown an over dramatic hissy fit and reassured them he was not going to become a guy that was killed because they accidentally shot off a gun.

"What if we get caught? Do you think he'd call the cops?" Robin whispered as they crouched down next to the wall of the side of the house so their heads wouldn't be seen through the windows.

"Hell no," Ringo denied with a shake of her head. "Uncle Tommy hates the government so bad he'd rather lose all of his belongings that have any dealings with them. The worst he'd do is probably whip out a gun on us."

"What the fuck?" Eddie hissed in horror.

"Oh don't worry," Ringo waved off upon seeing the alarm in his eyes when he whipped around to shoot her an almighty glare. "He'd never shoot me. You on the other hand..."

"Down here, right?" Steve prompted after stepping down a series of steps to the basement of Tommy's house. Instead of a door concealing the entrance, instead lay a 5-inch thick metal door that could only be opened by turning the wheel in its centre. "What's the chances this thing isn't locked?"

"It's not," Ringo reaffirmed, joining him at his side as he positioned his hands on the hatch to unlock it. "Nobody in Hawkins is stupid enough to mess with Tommy. Except us, apparently."

They winced as Steve began to turn the wheel as it emitted a loud screeching noise through the air. Immediately he paused, searching Ringo's expression with panic as they waited for the sound of a reaction from the house. After a few moments of silence, Steve moved it once more albeit far slower and quieter.

With every squeak of metal that the door reverberated, inside the house Nancy's hands balled even tighter by her sides - determined to continue her guise of distracting her uncle by listening to his ridiculous theories and assumptions. Her cheeks hurt from the fake smile she had continuously forced, and when Tommy seemed to have clocked on to the noise she jumped to continue the distraction.

"But Tommy, I mean just how realistic is it that the lizard people can disguise themselves as humans so well that they'd sneak into our government without anyone noticing?" Nancy questioned, a disbelieving tone in her voice that she knew would rile the elder man so much so that he'd even ignore a train coming through the window at this rate.