"The Flea and the Acrobat"

Jim Hopper sneaks into Hawkins National Laboratory and is caught by two guards when trying to enter the quarantined lower level.

"That was quick." Joanna (Nancy's cousin) mumbles.

"I know right." Holly mutters back. The 9 year olds giggle together.

He incapacitates them both and descends. Lonnie and Joyce Byers have a drink together, and he tries to convince her to get counseling following the death of their son. Hopper finds a child's bedroom with a drawing of a child being forced by their father to do something to a cat hanging on the wall.

Eleven goes pale, seeing her room. Max notices and holds her hand in comfort.

Mike Wheeler, Dustin Henderson, and Lucas Sinclair discuss what they heard Will say about where he was, and Eleven murmurs "upside down." Mike recalls Eleven flipping their Dungeons & Dragons board over to explain Will's location to them and claiming Will was inside his own house, and theorizes that Will may be in the "Upside Down". Dustin equates it to the concept of the "Vale of Shadows" from Dungeons & Dragons. As he describes it as a "dark reflection of our world, a place of decay and death, right next to you and you don't even see it,"

Eddie looks impressed.

Everyone who doesn't know looks so confused.

Hopper comes across the fissure. Before he can step into it, the guards knock him out.

Jonathan Byers returns home, mortified to see his father. He demands Lonnie leave, but Lonnie insists he is here to help them. As the Byers' dog lies down in Castle Byers and whimpers, the residents of Hawkins attend Will's funeral.

"Dogs and children, aka Holly know everything. That's the conclusion we should accept."

"Who the fu- fudge is that!" Eddie mutters.

"Hi. I'm the one who brought you here, and I'm really bored of not talking because I am terrible at keeping quiet during a show I like."

"Ok..." Steve mutters.

Joyce recalls watching Will draw his Dungeons & Dragons character, Will the Wise. Hopper wakes up in his trailer, his table covered in pills and alcohol. He tears his trailer apart and finds a bug in his overheard light.

"So they were trying to make It seem like you hallucinated it? They really are twats." Funshine (Love that nickname) mutters.

Kali looks at him with an annoyed look on her face. "Rude but true I guess."

Martin Brenner listens to a recording of the boys listening to Will and realizes Eleven was with them.

"God they are in everything!"

Nancy Wheeler and Jonathan decide to hunt down and kill the Demogorgon that took Will and Barb Holland. The lab-employed repairman checks the destroyed radio at the school and reports his findings back to his superiors.

"Again! If they didn't do this, they wouldn't need to be spying on us! How is this not illegal?!"

The boys approach Scott Clarke at Will's wake and ask him how to travel to another dimension. He illustrates on a paper plate the theoretical concept of a tightrope that separates two dimensions, an acrobat being able to inhabit one but a flea being able to duck under the tightrope and inhabit either.

"Sorry, why did you not question how the kids were acting? It was their best friend's funeral and they were asking you science questions. What sane child does that if they are morning their friend?" Florence asked.