"Trick or Treat, Freak"

Awakening in the Upside Down after destroying the Demogorgon, a disoriented Eleven screams for Mike Wheeler until she finds a gate created by the Demogorgon. After the soldiers she sees patrolling the other side of it leave, she uses her powers to widen the gate and slip through into Hawkins Middle. She hurries to the Wheeler house, only to find it swarming with agents from Hawkins National Laboratory, telling the Wheelers that Eleven is dangerous. Eleven watches through a window as Mike remains adamant that he would never give her up. When he spots her through the window, the agents give chase and she hides in the woods, distraught.

"Oh god, they are hunting her!" Karen gasped.

"For good reason! She killed people Karen!" Ted muttered, loud enough for others to hear.

"Oh shut up Ted! They wanted to kidnap her! And basically kill our children anyway!" Karen yelled back.

In the present day, she asks Jim Hopper if she can go out on Halloween as a ghost, as she would not be recognized with a sheet over her. Hopper refuses, but offers to take the evening off and spend it eating candy and watching horror movies together. He explains the concept of a "compromise" to her, and she accepts. Joyce Byers expresses a brief moment of panic when she wakes up and find Will not in his bed, but realizes he is just using the bathroom. She notices a drawing of the creature from his visions on his desk. Will denies having another episode. Will, Dustin Henderson, and Lucas Sinclair all suit up in their Ghostbusters Halloween costumes, Will as Egon Spengler, Dustin as Ray Stantz, and Lucas as Peter Venkman.

"Awwww" Sue, Claudia, Joyce and Karen cooed.

The four boys went tomato red. (I hate tomatos. As previously stated. Ignore me, I think im a bit too tired for this but oh well. Is that how you even spell tomato? Tomatoes? tomatos? I don't know anymore.)

Their mothers enthusiastically take pictures of the ecstatic boys, Lucas' sister Erica mocking him the whole time. Mike, also Venkman, is less enthusiastic. The boys arrive at school and Lucas and Mike argue over their assigned roles, Lucas believing Mike is trying to make him be Winston Zeddemore because of his race. They soon realize they are the only ones who have dressed up for Halloween, to their embarrassment. Dustin and Lucas debate asking Max Mayfield to join the group, but cannot work up the courage to.

"Aw, you guys were too embarassed!" Max giggled.

"Hey no-!" Dustin and Lucas try to argue back but to no avail.

El and Nancy giggle to each other as Steve sighs dramatically.

Joyce shows Hopper that the setting of Will's drawing perfectly matches their front yard, concluding that he lied about not having an episode. Hopper agrees with Sam Owens' theory about the anniversary effect, and regretfully tells her that their situation will not go back to the way it was, but it can get better. They reminisce about their time in high school together before Joyce expresses that she wants it all to be over. In the bowels of the lab, a soldier steps through the gate following the power surge and is guided by Owens to a generator built in the Upside Down, repairing it and putting their connection systems back online. Owens listens to the recording of Will's most recent session, contemplating.

"Weirdo." Mike mutters. "Anniversary effect blah blah blah. What a load of Bull-"

"Michael!"

"Sorry Mom."

Nancy Wheeler sees a girl in Hawkins High's library that resembles Barb Holland, spacing out until Steve Harrington notices and pulls her aside. She tells him that she is tired of pretending that she does not know what happened to Barb, but Steve reminds her that they will be arrested should they leak any information. He encourages her to go to the Halloween party so they can "pretend like we're stupid teenagers."