The First Thing I Saw Was You [Ziam]

A/N: Had this idea earlier. Thought it would be a cool one shot so I made a one shot book that I will randomly add things too when I have ideas.

Zayn had been blind ever since he'd been born.

He was now 24, having never seen colour, his family, his friends, and his fiancé.

But he made it work.

It was awkward and horrible sometimes, to be blind. People could take advantage of him more easily, which had caused him to be a little more guarded or defensive towards new people, or people in general. It was sometimes awkward to explain to people that he was blind, or that his dog was necessary, even if she had a bright yellow, as told to him by others, vest on which explained that she was a service animal. And then there were the assholes with weird mindsets who said he wasn't blind because he didn't 'wear sunglasses', 'have one of those find-out-where-you-are sticks', or because 'his dog wasn't a golden retriever'. Zayn always laughed at the memory of a middle aged woman, he assumed from their voice and manner of speaking, who had tried to ask him where his mother was, so that someone could hold the dog, who was, as they spoke, sitting next to Zayn, close enough for him to feel her fur. Mind you, he was about 20 at the time, and at a store with Liam, who was a few steps behind him, watching on as he sassed the poor woman till she walked away with a huff. Zayn couldn't see it, but Liam looked unbelievably proud.

Worst part about being blind was, undeniably, all the things he couldn't see (Sorry I had to, sue me later), and everything he missed out on because of that.

In some other, though admittedly less, ways it was a good thing he was blind. He was also glad that he was able to become friends or fall for someone based off of personality alone, although it did cause some confusing thought processes when he started to develop feelings for Liam while they were friends, as he didn't really know what physical attraction was, and his crush didn't start with that. But his parents and best friends, Louis and Niall, had helped him understand that, yes, he was falling in love with Liam.

On their four year anniversary, half a year ago, his high school sweetheart had proposed to him. Liam had done it in the best way possible, creating a scavenger hunt for Zayn, ensuring to make it doable for him. They'd been living together for around a year and a half by then, and Zayn was woken up with breakfast in bed, which Liam said looked bad, and Zayn told him it tasted amazing, which it did. Zayn had, after some time of snuggling, gone to grab lunch and shop for a few different things with his guide dog, Louis, and Niall, who'd only sounded glad to be there while they were eating.

After coming back from that, Liam had handed him a piece of card stock, which had a riddle on it in braille. Zayn had then, with the help of his walking stick (that he usually only used around the house instead of having his dog guiding him in the house), had gone all around the house finding cards with different clues on them (along the lines of 'I'm something that...'), till one of them led him to the backyard.

Unbeknownst to him, Liam had spent the afternoon while Zayn was out setting up a tent with a sleeping bag and a million blankets. Liam had taken a million photos - he was quite proud of it. Zayn still remembered the moment Liam had asked him to marry him. He revisited the memory quite often, engraving the words into his brain.

Zayn opened the back door, using his walking stick to feel for the stairs that went down to the grassy area. He walked down the stairs, and once he was stood on the grass, he called out to Liam, who'd said he'd be there. Zayn brandished his walking stick, hearing Liam laugh from not too far away. Zayn laughed as well and turned, repeatedly stabbing the air near to the location of the laughter. He was suddenly engulfed from behind in a hug, and he lowered his stick, leaning back into Liam's muscular chest. They swayed there for a moment before Zayn twisted around (with a little difficulty), both hands trailing up Liam's biceps to hug him around his neck. Liam leaned down slightly and kissed him, and he kissed back eagerly. They eventually pulled away to catch their breath, chests heaving against one another, both hearts racing. Zayn placed one hand over Liam's heart, keeping his other hand threaded through the hairs at the nape of  Liam's neck. Liam's hand came up to rest over Zayn's, intertwining their fingers, his other hand gripping Zayn's waist lightly.