Yule Ball [Romione]

What if Ron asked Hermione to the Yule Ball first? 

A/N: My first Harry Potter story :D If you're not a HP fan and you understand none of this, sucks to be you. (Sorry, that was mean. Ask if you've got questions :D) I do not claim these characters, and some part of this is copied from The Goblet of Fire (it's the first paragraph, in italics) so I don't claim that bit either. This obviously contains spoilers for the fourth book/movie and onwards. And I do not hold the transphobic views that JKR does.

"I have something to say to you all. The Yule Ball is approaching - a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above - although you may invite a younger student if you wish-" Lavender Brown let out a shrill giggle. Pavarti Patil nudged her hard in the ribs, her face working furiously as she too fought not to giggle. They both looked around at Harry.

Hermione stared determinedly at her wand as she put it carefully in her school bag - she'd be giving away no hints as to who she wanted to ask her. It probably wouldn't matter if she did anyway.

-----

"Ginny. wait up!"

"Hermione! Heading to the library?"

"Yeah. Have you heard the news?" Hermione asked, catching up with her in the hallway after the school day was over. They walked next to each other, feet tracing the familiar path to the Hogwarts Library.

"I've heard about the ball, yeah. Bit of a bummer that I can't go, being a third-year and all."

"Unless you get asked, that is - I know you're dying to go with Harry," she teased. Ginny blushed a little.

"I know you're dying to go with Ron," Ginny fired back. Hermione opened her mouth, "Don't you try and deny it! It's so obvious."

"No, it is not!"

"It is. Especially to me - I've had enough of you telling me my brother is stupid and simultaneously cute/hot/adorable, whatever floats your boat."

Hermione blushed, "Do I really do that?" Ginny nodded at her. "In all fairness, I've heard the same about Harry from you, Gin, albeit with a little less of the stupid part."

Ginny shrugged, "He's hot - and he's pretty smart."

Hermione facepalmed. "I don't need to hear about my pseudo-brother's quote-unquote 'hot-ness'."

Ginny shoved her playfully. "Anyway," she said pointedly, "how are you going to get him to ask?"

"Could ask you the same question." Hermione said.

Ginny raised an eyebrow at her. "You know for a fact he's not going to ask me - you've actually got a chance with Ron."

"What makes you say that?" Hermione asked, dragging her finger along the stone brick wall of the seven-floor castle. They were a couple corridors away from the library.

"One - Harry is crushing very obviously on Cho. Two - you're actually in Ron's grade, and his group of friends-"

"Oh, shut it, Harry definitely considers you a friend of his."

Ginny continued as if Hermione hadn't interrupted, "Three - he's definitely also got a crush on you!"

"He definitely does not like me back," Hermione stated indignantly.

"He does!"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Ok, prove it," she challenged.

"How long do you have? I caught him crying because you wouldn't talk to him last year-"