The Playground [Larry]

TW: Verbal and physical child abuse, self-deprecating thoughts.

"My first song, Saved By A Stranger, which I wrote and released a few years ago, is loosely based on what he did for me, and dedicated to him. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here."

-----

Having just run from his house, Harry Styles sat on the swing at his local playground, the shock and adrenaline not worn off yet, his parents' voices swirling through his head. Idiotic, they said, stupid, waste of space. The fifteen-year-old rubbed the bruise on his cheek, and kicked off from the ground, wishing he could soar on the swing into the sky and disappear. Maybe it would be better if he did disappear.

He swung until the swing lost momentum, and then hid his face in his hands and cried. The empty playground offered him no comfort, the sharp cold wind gave him no respite, his shabby clothes no help against the biting cold.

But a boy two years older than him walked over, and sat on the other swing. "Do you need a jacket? It's too cold to be out here without a jacket."

Harry lifted his tear-stained face, and shook his head. "No, I'm alright." He shivered.

"No, you're not. You get a jacket." And the boy took off his jacket, and went over and draped it over Harry's quivering frame.

"Thanks," he whispered, voice hoarse. "But aren't you cold now?"

"I have another jumper on. You need this more than me."

Harry sniffed. There was no way this boy was real. Who'd want to help a waste of space?

The boy smiled at him. "My name's Louis. What's your name?"

"'M Harry," he said quietly, still wondering why the boy was talking to him.

"What's your favourite letter in the alphabet?"

"What?" Harry asked, so thoroughly caught off guard he forgot to be quiet. "I don't know, I haven't thought about it. Don't you want to know why I was crying in the middle of a playground?"

"Only if you want to tell me." Harry stayed quiet, so Louis continued. "My favourite letter of the alphabet is 'j'. Why, you ask? Because it's one of the least used letters of the alphabet, but it's managed to be in the middle of the keyboard. It's a fighter, and I love that. Also because my mum's name starts with a 'j'. She and my sisters are my favourite people in the world."

Harry smiled, "I'm sure she's awesome."

"She is. What about your parents?" Louis asked, wincing when Harry flinched. "You don't have to say anything if you don't want."

"No, I need to tell someone, I think. Just, please don't go when I tell you."

"Of course."

Harry got off the swing and sat down on the grass near the equipment. Louis followed, sitting down beside him. "They're the reason I'm out here. A few years ago, I told them I want to be a famous singer when I grow up and my mum, Mackenzie, yelled at me, told me I'm a waste of space, all that good stuff." He chuckled humourlessly, "And since then, she's made it her business (and dragged my dad into it) to make me feel worthless. I think she's almost succeeded." It was much easier to talk about these things to a complete stranger.

Louis pulled him into a hug, all comfort and warmth and safety, and a break from the world. "I don't think you're worthless," he whispered, like it was a special secret they were sharing, "I think you're a brilliant person. Strong, and perfect just the way you are. I think you'll make it far in whatever career you choose, especially if you choose to be a singer. I believe in you."

Harry teared up. No one had ever really said anything like that to him before. Louis released him and he looked into Louis's unique blue eyes. "Really?"

Louis nodded solemnly. "Your parents are missing out on an amazing person," he said sincerely. "You're perfect, and not worthless. You have worth just because you're here, and you're here because you should be."

They parted ways that night, and didn't see each other again for a long time. Louis went on to take over his step-father's business, thinking of Harry every so often. Harry cut his parents our of his life and followed his dreams, and went on to become one of the world's best singer/songwriters. Louis inspired his debut song, Saved By A Stranger, which was an instant global hit.

-----

And if Harry met an interviewer by the name of Charlotte who told him that her brother had come home one day when he was seventeen and told them all about the perfect boy he met at the park, and if Harry started talking to, and then started dating Charlotte's blue-eyed brother, and if they got married and lived with each other happily for the rest of their lives, then that was his story to tell.

-----

A/N: So, did you like it?

I gave Harry's parents new names because I love them in real life so their bad versions have made up names, just because I think that's nicer.

THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE I LOVE YOU ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️