I wasn't expecting that. [Larry]

A/N: This one is a few snapshots in chronological order. FYI, they're in the same grade here.

Louis Tomlinson was the definition of unexpected.

Especially for me, the... well, not quite the most unpopular person, but also not too popular.

Louis, the new kid at London Boys Grammar School, was instantly in the popular crowd, befriending them within his first week, unsurprisingly - he was kind, charismatic, funny, and good-looking.

I was reading a book during lunch when Louis came up to me, and sat across from me at the table I was at. I looked at him over the top of my book. He was already looking at me. I went back to my book. It was probably a ploy by the popular kids to embarrass me.

A couple minutes of reading passed before I realised that Louis was now sitting beside me, instead of across from me.

"What're you reading?"

"The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett." I answered, keeping my eyes on the book so he didn't see my confusion. Why on earth was Louis talking to me? Where were his friends? I looked around, checking to see if his friends were watching, possibly laughing at me playing along with their dare or challenge. But they weren't there.

"Rick and his crew are doing who knows what who knows where. I've decided I don't really want to be friends with them. They were kinda picking on this kid reading a gay romance book - that was not ok with me: I'm more fruity than that watermelon slice," he stated, gesturing towards a piece of watermelon that was on the floor. That explains a couple of things, but not really why Louis was sitting next to me, of all people, right now.

I kept reading, wondering how long it would take for him to get bored of me.

"Is it a good book?"

"Yeah, it's my favourite." He nodded. I decided to just ask. "What are you doing here? I would have thought you've got better places to be."

"Trust me, I don't." I trusted him, for some reason. He smiled his perfect smile at me, "To answer your question, I'm trying to make some nicer friends."

I wasn't expecting that.

-----

He walked up to me as I was packing up  "Hey, Hazza," Louis said, ruffling my hair affectionately. I made an affronted noise, slapping his hand away. He gave me a fake offended face. "C'mon, we've got places to be." He took my hand in his (I ignored the butterflies) and dragged me out of school and to the bus he usually catches after school.

"Hold on, Lou." He looked back at me expectantly. "Do you have permission for this?"

"I asked your mum a week ago. We're fine."

My heart did not flutter when he smiled his million-watt sunshine smile at me. My breath did not catch. I did not get butterflies. Not at all. Nope. Definitely not. No sarcasm here.

He tugged on my hand, forcing me to keep up with him.

The bus pulled up a couple minutes early. We boarded, taking seats next to each other. We chatted quietly the whole way through the bus trip, making pretty much the only noise in the vehicle.

We got off at his stop, walking a few hundred metres toward his house, where we dumped our bags and he picked up a... picnic basket?

"Come on, angel, we haven't got all day," he said. And we were off again, basically sprinting, with me following him, to... the park? Were we going to have a picnic?

When we arrived, after taking a minute to catch our breath, he opened the basket and took out a picnic blanket. He unfolded it, placing it on the ground in the shade of a tree. He flopped down, pulling me down with him. We lay there, cloud-gazing through the canopy of vivid green leaves, for a minute, before I asked "What are we doing here?"