Grilled

Elena and I had spent the rest of the morning digging through the shed which was full of cobwebs and obviously hadn't been used for a while, looking for supplies. We'd found a perfect bright yellow colour, one that reminded me of sunshine. Something that would hopefully keep my nightmares away.

We'd had a quick sandwich before starting to paint the room, at some point Jeremy and Jenna joined us and the four of us decorated together. Laughing and joking while we did. Real laughter, not the fake laugh I'd been putting on for so long.

Jeremy was sarcastic and had a quick wit, as well as an understanding side of him that I didn't expect for a guy his age. Elena was bright, fun and bubbly but not too over the top with it and bounced right off her brother. Jenna was the perfect mix of both of them, sarcastic and bubbly. She acted more like a kid than an adult and was fun to be around. The strangest thing for me though was that instead of feeling left out or the odd one I actually fitted in when I finally let my guard down. I could be just as sarcastic and laugh just as loud. It was fun. And it was exactly what I'd needed, even if I hadn't known it.

Maybe Alaric was right, maybe I could start to fill the hole that had been left by them with something else. With being part of a family and having friends? Not relying on a man, or anyone else for my happiness? Maybe.

"What time is it?" Elena asked as she finished painting the wall her and I had been working on together.

"Er... Five, ish." Jenna said putting down her own paint brush and admiring our handiwork.

The room did look loads better now, the yellow reflecting sunlight from the window inside. It went well with the dark furniture in the room. It was almost a days worth of labour and fun.

"I've gotta get ready!" Elena said with a grin before turning to face me. "You can get ready in my room if you want? These walls won't be dry for a little while."

"I'll just grab some clothes, hang on." I said with my own smile in return, I'd smiled more here in two days than I had in months back in Forks.

I dug through my wardrobe looking for anything that could be remotely suitable for going to a bar, I had nothing. I guess it was just going to be jeans and a t-shirt again. Not that I minded, I'd just wanted to make a good impression for once.

A memory broke through; the last time I'd wanted to make a good impression. I'd been going to meet a family of vampires and I'd wanted to look good, I'd picked out the only skirt I owned but still felt like I was dowdy and under dressed. I hadn't fit in there, I wasn't going to fit in here, no matter what I wore. That much I knew.

"You can borrow some of my clothes if you want, we've gotta be about the same size. And we'll go shopping tomorrow?" Elena asked me, her eyes taking in something on my face, an emotion I didn't want there.

"Yeah, that will be great, thanks." I replied plastering my face with a smile and hiding my real emotions behind the mask. Something that was getting easier to put on everyday. Somehow I didn't think that was a good thing.

~0~

"Elena! Stefan's here!" I heard Jenna shout from downstairs, her voice echoing around the hallway outside of Elena's room where we'd been getting ready.

"Who's Stefan?" I asked as I put in a pair of earrings that she'd insisted made my outfit.

"Erm... He's my... Boyfriend." Elena told me quietly with soft eyes.

"You never told me you had a boyfriend!?" I said slowly, almost an accusation.

"Yeah well with everything..." Elena trailed off.