Trying It

My nightmare was different that night. It started out the same as always. I was running through the woods looking for him, calling his name as I did, but I still couldn't find him. After a while I realised that something was stalking me. This time when it came for me it wasn't Victoria or Laurent or James. It was a man with bright blue eyes and a dark smirk.

Gasping for air I sat upright in my bed. God, those eyes had really done a number on me, I thought as I climbed out of bed and into the shower.

It wasn't until I was dressed and ringing Charlie's phone that I realised that I hadn't woke up screaming for once.

"Chief Swan speaking." Charlie answered his desk phone officially.

"Hey dad."

"Hi kiddo, how are you?" Charlie said his voice warm, I could hear the smile in it down the line.

"I'm good thanks, how are you, you eating properly?" I asked with a smile, though I was worried that he was just eating junk now that I'd gone.

"Don't worry so much Bells, I'm going to Billy's for dinner, I'm fine. So how was last night? Did you go out with Elena yet?" Dad asked me, hope in his voice.

"Yup, we went to the Grill, which is this bar in town where everyone hangs out. It was good, I met Elena's friends. And we're having a girls day out shopping today as well." I knew why my dad had sent me here, he was hoping that I'd do the normal teenage thing, and he reckoned that Alaric would encourage that. So I'd make sure that my dad knew I was doing exactly as he wanted me to.

"That's great kid. You got enough money? I can send you some?" Dad asked me and again I could hear his excited smile down the line.

"I'm good thanks." I told him, as I remembered to give Alaric his money back from last night.

"Well you enjoy yourself kid. And give me a ring at some point yeah?"

Reassuring Charlie that I'd do just that I hung up with a smile. I loved my dad so much, but he was transparent at times, he really was.

"Bella! You up?!" I heard Jeremy shouting from downstairs, breaking me out of my thoughts with a smile.

"Coming!" I shouted back before heading down to join him.

When I reached the kitchen I was stunned and happy to see Elena, Bonnie, Caroline, Jeremy, Alaric and Jenna. And a huge stack of pancakes. Everyone was stood around the counters eating laughing and joking.

"Morning! Come and help yourself." Jenna smiled at me as she stood next to Alaric with a modest pile of pancakes on her plate.

"Morning." I said while doing just that, the pancakes looked and smelt amazing, and there was every topping that anyone could possibly want or need. "Jenna, this looks delicious!" I beamed at her, starting to lose some of my shyness around the family.

"Thanks, but I'm not the cook, that would be Elena and Bonnie." Jenna smiled at the two girls in question. "I'm more of a microwave technician."

"Well then, Elena, Bonnie, this looks delicious." I grinned before tucking into my own stack.

"Here Bella, some coffee for you." Alaric put a cup in front of me. I smiled thankfully at him before taking a sip.

Uh! The coffee was vile! I made a face and pushed it away from me, it tasted like it had chilli in it or something.

"Something wrong?" Alaric asked me studying my face and my reaction.

"Erm... No... It's fine." I said not wanting to be rude and taking another sip. But I couldn't resist pulling the face again, seriously, it tasted like ass.