Party On

I took the beer, Caroline was right, what was the worse that could happen here in Mystic Falls with friends surrounding me? I trusted these people to take care of me, to look out for me but not to control me, not something I was use to, but something that comforted me.

I took my first drink of beer and winced. God that was awful. Caroline who had been watching me let out a laugh. "Yeah, it takes some getting use to. Just keep drinking, it gets better." She grinned at me.

I trusted her and by the end of the bottle the beer did taste a little better, though not by much. Caroline magically had another bottle in her hand which she handed to me, her eyes lighting up as I took it without hesitation this time and started drinking.

"Okay! Now we have to dance!" She told me, grabbing me by the arm in a surprisingly strong grip and dragging me to the makeshift dance floor, joining Elena and Bonnie.

"I don't dance!" I protested with a smile.

"Everyone dances Bella!" Caroline told me with an eye roll taking my empty hand and twirling me around. I giggled out loud and gave in, dancing with my three new friends.

I danced for four songs, enjoying myself more than I'd thought possible, taking the drinks that were handed to me, laughing out loud and shaking my body like everyone else.

As a slow song started I stepped away from the dance floor and stood against the wall watching the couples wrapped up in each other with sad eyes and sipped my beer. All of a sudden I felt lonely. A pang of emptiness ripped through the hole in my chest.

"Yeah, sickening isn't it?" A voice came through loud in my ear, I didn't need to look to find out who the owner of the voice belonged to, the cocky tone gave him away.

"I think it's sweet." I responded without taking my eyes away from the couples who were so obviously in love on the dance floor.

"So the ex hasn't jaded you then?" Damon sounded slightly surprised.

"Oh he has, men suck. But that, those people in their own world, so wrapped up in each other that no-one else even exists for them right now, that's sweet." I said before taking a large gulp of beer. "Of course the men in those couples will mostly turn out to be dicks who deserve to burn."

I heard Damon's deep laugh in my ear and felt it vibrate throughout me. "How old are you?" He asked, I could actually hear the rise of his eyebrows in his voice.

"Seventeen, how old are you?" I asked, boldened slightly by the alcohol racing through my system.

"Twenty four." It was said with a laugh in his voice, one that mimicked there laughs when mere humans asked their ages. An inside joke that I'd once been privy to.

I felt him leave and a wave of disappointment washed over me, he might be an ass but I enjoyed verbally sparring with Damon, he kept me on my toes and I liked that. That and now I was alone again, alone with an empty beer and my thoughts, not a good combination.

"Here." Damon's voice was suddenly back in my ear making me jump as a fresh beer was put into my hand, the empty taken away.

"Thanks." I said in a bit of surprise, I hadn't pegged him as ever doing anything for anything else, maybe I had Damon wrong?

"So, Alaric told me that you don't like Vervain?" Damon's voice was almost mocking me now, and for the first time since he joined me I turned to face him, stumbling a bit as I did but catching myself before I could fall over. I didn't know if it was my natural clumsiness taking over or the beer which was warming my stomach now and starting to make everything better, starting to make me want to laugh and dance. "Now why would that be, hmm?" Damon's eyes were looking deep into my own, his head leant down and only centimetres from mine.