All's Fair

"Okay, okay... Okay." I said, freaking out a little bit. They'd found me, somehow I'd been found and I was dragging all these kind people into this with me. Elena and Jeremy who'd accepted me into their home and their family with nothing but love and friendship. Caroline who'd become a friend to me in only a week. Stefan, Bonnie, Matt, Tyler, Damon... Damon!

"I've got to go." I said before trying to run for the door, maybe if I ran they'd catch my scent, they'd come after me and leave Damon alone. I couldn't let him die, not because of me.

"Hold on! You're not going anywhere!" Caroline said standing in front of me faster than should have been possible. "It's not safe out there! Look I know you're freaking out and you probably think we're insane, but please, please don't go out there Bella."

"You don't understand..." I trailed off, hang on, how did they know about vampires? What was going on here?

It didn't matter how they knew, I had to get to them, I had to try and save Damon, if they hadn't killed him already. I couldn't think like that, they wouldn't have killed him, not yet, they'd use him as bait for me. I hoped.

"No you don't understand Bella, it really isn't safe out there." Elena said softly to me.

"I know I believe you, but Damon's out there... They'll hurt him..." I said, I needed to get out of here but Caroline was still blocking my way and the others looked like they were ready to jump up and get in my way any second.

"Bella's right. I'm going to go help him." Stefan said looking worried and standing up.

"No!" I shouted. "Let me go, please." I couldn't let anyone take my place here. They were here for me, I had to go and face them. I always knew it was going to end like this, and really I was living on borrowed time anyway.

"Bella..." Stefan started saying but he was cut of by a deep velvet voice full of cockiness.

"Yeah... Bella... Someone's got some explaining to do." Damon said in a singsong voice.

"Damon!" I gasped out. Never had I been so happy to see anyone before in my life. The relief hit me so fast that I felt dizzy. My knees gave way and Caroline caught me.

"Glad to see someone's happy to see me for once. Of course I am awesome.." Damon smirked at me as Caroline and Jeremy sat me in a chair and Stefan pushed a glass of some amber liquid in to my hand with a soft look.

"How many?" Stefan asked Damon seriously as I took a sip of the burning liquor. It tasted foul, but then so had beer to start with and I'd gotten use to that fast enough. I couldn't figure out my thoughts so I just concentrated on the alcohol feeling slightly numb inside. This was just too much, I got away from all of this right? It was gone. I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. Wishful thinking.

"There were four, there's two now but they hightailed it out of here." Damon replied pouring himself a drink from the bar then turning to look at me with a shrewd look. "The strangest thing though is that they were cold ones."

"Cold ones?" Bonnie asked looking confused.

"Different type of vampire, slower, weaker and they glitter in the sun. Tragic really." Damon smirked. "And do you know who they wanted?"

"Damon what are you talking about?" Jeremy asked.

"Well it wasn't you Van Helsing, Witchy there wasn't their target either. They didn't want the doppleganger, wolf boy or Blondie. And neither Saint Stefan or my amazing self have pissed anyone off recently. No they were here for 'Edward's mate'." His words made my head snap up, shock taking over my body. It couldn't have been them could it? Were they back looking for me? Oh God had Damon killed two of them? How had Damon killed them? What was going on?