Chapter 31 Another Human Fight

Ronnie took us back home, leaving in the middle of a near grid-lock of cars at 5 o'clock that afternoon. It was a quiet ride back, and though I didn't know Ronnie's in-depth thoughts, I did feel this primal fear and confusion. I believed he wanted to understand a reason why the gamma rays were continuing for such a long time, but he wanted to find a natural explanation because what was presented to him was beyond natural. Ronnie didn't want to say it was extra-terrestrial. He'd rule out all possibilities before he'd admit it. Unfortunately, we didn't have time for him to rule out the possibilities. The longer he came round to the conclusion, the less time we had to find a way to avert the crisis at hand.

Arriving back at the house, Lori told me that Ryan and Rachel were in their rooms and that dinner would be on the table by seven. "Did you have a good day?" she asked as I was about to head up to speak to the twins. Ronnie was taking off his coat in the hallway, and I heard him sigh softly.

Pausing, I chose my words carefully as I wanted Ronnie to think about what I had pointed out. "Yes, I had a look at Ronnie's book and some notes and measurements that was taken on what, at first, appears to be a pulsar. However, the results prove that it isn't a pulsar at all but an anomaly, a strange recurring anomaly every four hundred and twenty-eight days. I can't help but wonder if it's not a naturally occurring anomaly."

"Why do you think that?" She asked as Ronnie came into the kitchen.

"Because something is helping guide this anomaly in the direction of the earth. The results I saw go back several years. This pulsar is a gamma ray. They have a low wavelength and fade after a short distance. However, this gamma-ray is travelling over thousands of light years. This, in nature, is impossible. As odd as it sounds, I hesitate to say," I glanced at Ronnie and said, "I don't think we are alone." Leaving that to hang in the air, I remained quiet and headed up to Ryan's room, where Rachel was sitting on my bed chatting to Ryan.

They both stopped when I entered, but I'd already heard their conversation about Dale in particular. "Hey, Quinta," Rachel smiled. Ryan put his phone down. He didn't smile. In fact, he was worried. I felt it. "Did you have a good day?"

She moved down the bed while I took a seat on it, and I shook my head. "No, I did not."

"I'll tell you yours if you tell me mine," Ryan moped. When I didn't say anything, he elaborated, "I mean, I'll you my day if you tell me yours."

Understanding I nodded and told them exactly what I read, saw and thought. I told them about a possible reason why these gamma rays came from, and I also told them that there would be one ray pointed at earth in one month and eight days, and there was, currently, nothing humans could do.

"Just humans," Rachel said, "but something that you could do, right?"

I frowned in thought. "I don't know. I need to contact the ship. They put me here for a reason. It might be to establish some understanding of these other aliens who are either trying to destroy the earth or... trying to make contact."

"Say what?" Ryan frowned. "You said that gamma rays can destroy the planet. And you think these other aliens want to make contact?"

I sighed. "I know it sounds difficult. However, one race appeared very hostile when we made contact with them, but it turned out their ruthlessness was a way they communicate."

"Could you explain?" Rachel asked, but I shook my head. "Still need to know, huh?"

"More of a case that as the human race as a whole, you are not ready to accept that aliens exist. If you were so upset with me, I'd imagine you'd be even more so if you knew what I looked like. I, therefore, cannot go into details of this other alien species."

Before Ryan was about to ask another question, I heard the sound of narrow tyres on concrete heading towards us. "I think your friend Matty is here."

"Weird dog-like hearing," Ryan muttered and went to the window. He glanced down and then waved. Opening the window, a fresh breeze came into the room, fluttering the curtains. "What's up?"

"Dude, you've got to bring Quinta to the pipes."

Rachel and I stood and went to the window, peering over Ryan's head. Glancing down at Matty, he gazed up at me and froze. I hadn't changed his memory of me. Doing so quickly, he blinked a few times and continued up at us.

"Why?"

"Jimmy is there with Dale and Aaron. He's brought his entire crew with him! They allowed me to come and tell you they've held everyone else hostage until Quinta is here. They want to teach him a lesson."

Ryan frowned. "I'm not going to give Quinta up as some sacrificial lamb! Fuck off!"

"Marty, Rosie, Cam, Stella and Beaty are down there; they have no phones because they've been forced to hand them over. I don't even have mine! If I didn't give it to them, they were going to beat the shit out of me."

Ryan turned to me. "Can you tell if he's lying?"

"He is not lying. He is telling the truth. His mobile phone is not on his person. I believe we must go with him."

"No way!" Rachel grabbed me and spun me around to face her. "Are you crazy? Because I know you aren't stupid. They want to beat you up." I didn't say anything, and she got angry. "Ry, tell him!"

"Dude!" Matty called up.

I tapped Ryan on the shoulder. "Could you not get law enforcement?"

He shook his head, and his heart rate had increased. He was frightened. "No. As soon as they'd turn up, they'd do a runner and will try again another night. Ah shit. Hang on, Matty!" Pulling away from the window, he began to pace. "I can't let you go to him." He sat on his bed and sighed. "Shit."

I thought about what he had just said and found myself annoyed. "Forgive me, but I have not given you permission to keep me here. I may be foreign and may not completely understand the social rules of being human, but I believe this incident causes me to do as Matty says and stop this Jimmy from bullying you by defending myself. He is upset that I made him look like a fool the other day, and now he is upset that I have made his little brother look like a fool. Given the fact that I am now an adult, I do not want to listen to a child tell me what I can and cannot do."

Rachel moved in front of me, her eyes slightly damp in the corners. "Forget for a minute that you are an alien. Would you honestly go with someone if you knew you were going to get hurt?"

Her words made the corners of my mouth lift. I was smiling, and I wasn't sure why. It wasn't that what she said was funny. On the contrary. I think it was because she disregarded who I was and tried to place me in a more realistic setting so I'd understand. "Rachel, please know that I am not going to get hurt."

"What if he has a knife or a gun?" She pleaded.

"My scanner would detect such things."

"Ryan, come on!" Matty called.

Making a final decision, I turned and headed for the door, but before I left, I felt something from Rachel that shocked me. I stopped and turned to her, "Please stay here, Rachel. Do not come after me."

"Like hell, I'm staying here."

"Rachel, please sit down and stay here," I told her, and instantly she did as I asked.

"NO! It's not fair, playing your alien mind games on me!"

I held the door open. "Ryan, are you coming?" He jumped up from the bed.

"Stay here, Rach. We'll be back soon." Ryan gave his sister a brief hug, and the two of us left.