Chapter 32 A Gun In A Fight Equals Disaster

Heading down the stairs, Ronnie and Lori were in the kitchen. Ryan casually told his mother that we would meet Matty for a bit before dinner. Lori clearly thought nothing of it and nodded her approval. "I need to get Dillon from football practice," Ronnie said and followed us down the hallway.

"Hi, Dr Akers," Matty waved as he went towards his car.

"Hello, Matt." Matty, Ryan and I stayed silent while Ronnie started his car and left. Moments later, Ryan got out his bike, and I stood on the protruding spokes on the back wheel as the boys tore out of Ryan's driveway and, taking a left, headed towards the pipes.

Sometime later, when we were two-hundred yards from them, I asked the boys to stop and place their bikes down here. "Why?" Ryan asked.

"I do not want them to be used in case Jimmy and the others run," I told him truthfully. Matty got the idea and hid his bike behind a bush. When Ryan copied him, I led them toward where I heard the group were. When I arrived, I must admit I was a little apprehensive. There were eight tall boys that surrounded Marty and Rosie. Cam, to which I had not had the pleasure of being introduced, was shaking with quickened breathing. The eight tall boys were jeering and rattling chains and also very long knives. After trying to remember my classes, I believe they were called machetes, which were used for clearing brush in tropical locations on the planet. Considering there were no brushes that needed clearing, and this clearly wasn't in the tropics, I came to the awful conclusion that these weapons were intended to frighten and could also be used to cause serious damage on contact.

Reaching out to the scanner with my thoughts, it quickly counted ten knives, four were different variants, and indeed there was one gun with five live bullets encased. Instantly I detected Jimmy and Dale, as both had their hands wrapped in white bandages. They turned and glared at me as I walked calmly toward them.

"Shit, dude, was he that tall?" One of the boys muttered. I refrained from altering their minds. It was quite dark when we last met, so it may not be so bothersome for him. Dale, on the other hand, and Aaron, I wanted to appear intimidating so that they would not try and assault me again.

The boys parted, leaving Jimmy in the middle. "Ryan, keep yourselves behind me", I thought to him.

"What do you think he'll do?" Ryan whispered.

"It's not him I'm worried about. I don't know who, but someone has a gun." Glancing at my scanner, it picked up on the gun, being within one hundred yards ahead of me. There were too many bodies for it to identify exactly where it was.

Jimmy, all of a sudden, began to clap. "Aww, Matt the twat finally did something right." The boys around him laughed. "But you brought the turd-twin, so someone has to pay a price." With his left hand, he went to the group of frightened teenagers and grabbed one, a girl, by the arm and yanked her out. She screamed, and the boys laughed.

"You leave Stella alone, you prick!" Matty yelled. He made a move, but Ryan pulled him back.

"Dude, no. Quinta has a handle on this."

"What the fuck? Quinta has no fucking handle. He's going to hurt her," Matty spat.

I could feel a strange sense of primal drive that I hadn't fully felt before. I'd had the drive to study and become good at what I do, but this was an almost defensive feeling. Similar to what I experienced with Rachel. Her primal feeling was defensive for me. And I had the almost same feeling for these young humans.

On our planet, bullying is... well, it doesn't happen. Among the Rtheeth, we've overcome our differences because the alternative would be to hurt another Rtheeth, which is beyond contestation. Humans are so childish, and their childish reasoning will be their downfall.