Chapter 46 A Stranger Says Hello, and a Stranger Says Goodbye

"I will give you only a few minutes," Braxby said and left. The door closed behind me with a soft whoosh of energy displacement, and moments later, Rachel and Ryan were translocated into the room with me.

"QUINTA!" Rachel cried, and similar to my mother threw her arms around me and kissed my cheek. Her lips were warm, and I smiled in sadness. "I'm so glad you are okay. It was an awful experience. They took me while I was running to school and-"

"I know," I told her gently. "I'm so sorry, Rachel. It's my entire fault this has happened to you and Ryan." He was back to normal now, but I could tell the past twenty-four hours were too much for him. "I apologise to both of you for putting you through all of this. It was never my intention for it to get like this. Indeed, I did enjoy going to school with you and going into town to buy semi-precious stones in metal with you." Rachel smiled, and tears ran down her face. "I suppose you have not been told but, I have severed ties with my race, and I am going back to earth."

I was surprised to see both twins smile in happiness, but then the smile slipped off their faces, like paper off a table, as they saw the expression my own face was pulling. "What's wrong?" Ryan asked. "Why do I have a bad feeling about this?"

"We are all returning to earth, but I'm afraid all of our memories of each other will be erased. Your parents too and also anyone else who met me."

Their mouths dropped open in horror. "No, they can't do that, we need you to help save the earth!" Rachel gasped.

"That will be my primary mission. They will leave me with some information as to what is happening to earth, with the knowledge that I will also be alone in this. All Fw'iun and, subsequently all Rtheeths have now left earth to its demise. No one will attempt to save it, apart from me."

"Why just you? Why can't they let us help?" Ryan asked.

"It's my punishment, my consequence for turning you into a Rtheeth and for mutating Rachel's blood, among other things. I am to do this alone. This is also a political or self-preserving manoeuvre. The gamma-wave was created by a new species, as I had believed. They made a deal with the Fw'iun to destroy earth. Because I used human technology to destroy the Fw'iun ships, the attacking species will believe humans have done this and are a threat. I have," I expelled a deep lungful of air, "created a very big problem, and I wish to do what I can to save earth. I don't have long. I will have to start as soon as I get to earth and sadly, I will do doubt, do whatever I must to save the planet."

Ryan began to pace, and Rachel shook her head. Both of them shared identical expressions of unhappiness, and yet again, I was the cause of this. Ryan stopped and glanced at me. "I still have Aia in my head," he said. "What do I do about her?"

"Aia?" I thought.

"Yes, sir?" Her voice rang through.

"They didn't notice you were in Ryan's head?" I asked.

"Negative. However, when Ryan's memory is wiped, I will be off line."

Ryan glanced at me and gave me a small smile. "Can I keep my memories?"

This was a loaded question. Yes, he could but Ryan had to be willing to get them back and as I wouldn't remember him it would become futile. "Aia would only regain her own conscious if you had an electric shock of some kind to wake her up. But Ryan, I won't remember you to help you do this and I doubt you'd go around giving yourself an electric shock. It wouldn't work."

"So, Aia would be offline in Ryan's head until he got a shock?" Rachel asked. "What if he doesn't get an electric shock ever?"

There was no reply for that as it was pretty evident. Ryan just wouldn't get his memories back that I ever existed. "I am sorry. But there is nothing I can do. I'm glad I have met you both and for what it's worth, I will treasure the feelings I had when I was with you, the good and the bad."

"But you won't remember us," Rachel cried, and Ryan turned to comfort her.

"No, but the feelings I still keep, same with you and Ryan, you'll have your feelings of happiness of joy and pain, they cannot be taken from you. As you humans say, you'll remember them in your heart."

Ryan scoffed, "Dude, that's really lame." He came up to me and gave me what is known as a 'man-hug' comprising of a quick pat on the back. "Who knew, I'd have a friend who was an alien. I know I won't miss you, but I'll miss you."

"I understand," I nodded.

"Quinta," Rachel came over to me. I saw her shake as she continued to cry. I never thought I would put a human through so much pain because of her affection for me. It's true I was very fond of Rachel, and I had done all I could to rescue her; I felt responsible for both of them, and I felt even more so because I put her in danger. I reached out and placed a few stray strands of her hair behind her ear. Before I dropped my hand, she reached out and held my hand to her cheek. "Before I forget, I just want to say-" Her eyes grew wide, and she whispered a small "no" before she and Ryan vanished before me.

Braxby came into the room seconds later. I tried to contain my emotion, but I was angry and upset all in one. "Quinta?" He asked.

I felt a strange urge to strike out, and I didn't know why. "She was just about to say something to me and... and you... she's..." I turned around, and punched through the energy wall.

"Holy...!" Braxby gasped. "Quinta, get your emotions in control!"

I glared at him. "Why are you doing this to us? Once I got rid of the Fw'iun, I was perfectly on track to getting everything done. I don't have time to restart all this again."

"Wait, a second. Us?" He asked. "You... are you in love with her?"

"I..." the question was an odd thing to be asked. "I do not understand the question."

He groaned. "All you eluthili are the same. You have no clue about your emotions. Even though you are an adult, your emotions are like a child's!" He spat. "Quinta. Your memories will be wiped within moments. If you have feelings for Rachel, tell me what you feel."

"I... I don't understand what they are. I feel angry, which doesn't contribute to affection."

"Why are you angry?" He asked, crossing his arms.

"I'm angry that she's gone. I'm angry she didn't get to finish what she wanted to say to me. I'm angry that I'll be alone without her."

Braxby nodded. "Do you have any other feelings?"

"I'm sad," I said simply. "I'm sad I won't see either of them again. I'm sad that my memories of them will be wiped, and its... it's all my fault."

"Quinta," he gave me a smile. "Your feelings, they are genuine and raw. This is part of what love is, what Rtheeth love is. We defend our mates with our lives. We would do anything for them to ensure they are healthy and happy. I'm sorry that the council have taken this from you. I truly am."

There was nothing else to say. I was defeated.

Braxby led me out of the room, and I was translocated onto the ship. From there, I was taken to the medical bay for the procedure. As far as I was aware, it was painless. It was simply going to sleep and waking up knowing nothing more than your name and the facts which needed to be retained for the mission.

As I was taken into the medical bay, I saw two of the five medical pods were occupied. I knew in my soul that they were Ryan and Rachel.

"Quinta," one of the medical assistants spoke softly. She smiled at me and guided me to a pod. "I have been given the information which you need to retain."

I got into the pod and made myself comfy. "May I request what the information is?"

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, I cannot tell you. Good luck, Quinta." The pod door was shut, and I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Rachel," I thought, hoping and praying that I reached her. "If you can hear me. I love you."