Chapter 35 Marriage is Complicated?

Lori and Ronnie came out of the living room and instantly started shouting at Rachel for being so stupid and careless and for leading me astray. I felt I needed to speak up for myself but with Ronnie and Lori shouting so much, I found it difficult to get the chance. Finally, after Rachel had apologised for the tenth time, I took my chance, "Please excuse Rachel. This was my fault. You see yesterday I had saved Amy from a bully called Dale."

"Dale?" Ronnie asked. "Dale, who?"

"Breslin," Rachel added. "Jimmy Breslin's brother."

Lori tutted. "Those boys are trouble."

"Yes. Well, Dale and I got into an altercation after he was bullying Amy, and through his own fault, he ended up breaking his hand. Because I did not see Amy today, she wished to see me and thank me for saving her from Dale. I asked Rachel to take me to Amy's house and so the fault lies with me. You specifically told us when dinner was ready, and it slipped our minds. So, please accept my apology; it wasn't all Rachel's fault."

Ronnie and Lori went silent, and I could tell their anger had dispersed. Ronnie shook his head. "As long as you are both okay. And Rachel, charge your damn phone. We didn't buy it for you to piss around with it!"

She put her hands up. "I know; I'm sorry."

Lori went into the kitchen. "I saved you both some food. I know it's late but I'd rather you eat something. You two hungry?"

"Yes," we both said.

Lori got some plates out laden with leftover food. My plate had a large helping of vegetables that weren't eaten. I didn't complain. I was still quite hungry from giving Rachel my blood. I glanced over to see how she was, and she was ravenous, hungrily gobbling up every scrap of food on her plate.

After finishing our meals, we thanked Lori and headed upstairs and went into Ryan's bedroom, where he was still wide awake. In two strides, he came right over to me with his fist raised and struck. I dodged to the left and grabbed his fist. "Ryan, what are you doing?"

"I could fucking kill you!" He snapped, pulling his fist back. "Do you know how worried I've been?"

Rachel went up to him and gave him a hug around the neck, but he still glared at me. "Ry, I'm okay. Quinta saved my life." She let go, then took off my jacket and gave it back to me.

I took it and placed it on the bed. "As I promised I would. I do apologise for not staying in contact with you. I had no idea the safehouse would be in Greece. I also did not factor in giving some of my blood to Rachel in order to save her."

That stopped Ryan in his tracks. His jaw went slack, and glanced between the both of us. "You did what?"

"It's synthetic blood," she told him as she sat on Ryan's bed. "But it's-"

I stared at her. Do not tell him about what the blood may be doing to you. You do not want to upset him further.

"It's getting late," she finished, and as she was about to leave, I asked what happened after I left with Rachel.

He groaned and rolled his eyes. "It was chaos. We saw the green light; everyone started to freak out as they didn't know what it was. Your trick with the guys didn't work, and they grabbed the gun and ran, but they still had everyone's phones. We contacted the police, and they finally turned up. We gave them our details and told them that the Breslin boys had a live gun, as well as our phones and told them they had threatened us, and then they left. So, got no idea what happened with them. Will be interesting to see if Dale turns up tomorrow."