Chapter 2

[02— The Man in the Blue Mask]

   Your car drove steadily down the road as you restlessly looked for your little brother, hoping you didn't accidentally miss him. There was nothing but a few groups of teenage friends walking along the sidewalk together with what you could only assume was bags of party supplies, and the occasional car that passed by.

   Where is he?

   You had been searching for half an hour. There was no sign of Liam anywhere you looked. The pit in your stomach was flooded with dread. The neon numbers on your car's clock read to be close to nine. With each minute that passed, the more you worried you wouldn't find your brother.

   The neighbourhood wasn't normally dangerous, as far as you were aware, but with that killer in white running around, you were even more worried. Normally, you did not call the police when Liam ran off during a fight, as it never took long to find him, but tonight was turning out to be different.

   Ten more minutes. I'll look for ten more, and then I'll call them.

   A dark figure on the sidewalk suddenly caught your eye. It was a man clad in full back lying limp on his stomach on the sidewalk. Though it was difficult to tell from how far you were, you saw what you thought to be blood pooling around him. As you pulled up closer, you realised you were right, and there was a trail of it leading from the grass to him as if he or something else had dragged him there.

  You slowed your car to a stop beside him, unsure as to whether he was dead or alive. Part of you considered that it might be some sort of early Halloween prank. You scanned the area carefully for anything that might be suspicious. As far as you were able to see, there was nothing or nobody else around. Cautiously, you slipped out of the car, your eyes trained on the man as you slowly approached him.

   "Sir...?" you called out carefully. "Are you alright?"

   The man did not respond.

   "Shit." You didn't think it was a trick.

   You knelt down next to the man and flipped him over, revealing the source of the blood. His left forearm had been punctured, bleeding profusely. There was also a dark blue, featureless mask covering his face with a black liquid leaking from the eyeholes, and he also had on grey body paint.

   You hurried over to your car and opened up the back door before you returned to the man, who was unresponsive as you picked him up and dragged him over to your vehicle. You hoisted him up and into the backseat, and then rummaged around until your found your med-kit. Opening it up, you wriggled the man's hoodie sleeve up until his wound was completely exposed.

   While you weren't a doctor by any means, you had received enough first aid training to, at the very least, doing something. One of the last things you wanted to do was stop looking for your brother, but you weren't going to let a man bleed out on the sidewalk.

   Midway through patching him up, the man started to stir. You quickly stopped what you were doing as a groan emitted from the shifting man. The injured man sat up, realised you were there, and then scrambled back on the seats until his back pressed against the other car door.

   You held up your hands in defence, straightening. "Whoa, hey! Take it easy, you're hurt! I'm only trying to help!"

   The man didn't ease up or move from where he was, only staring at you behind the black eyeholes of the mask.

   At that, you decided to continue to explain in hopes that it would do some good. You spoke carefully. "Listen. I was out driving around looking for my brother when I saw you bleeding out on the street. I get it, I wouldn't want to wake up in a stranger's car with them standing over me either, okay? But, look—" you gestured to the medical supplies— "I really am just trying to help. You've got a serious wound on your arm."