Chapter 25

[25— Imprisoned]

   You woke, which was the last thing you thought you'd do when you passed out on the floor of the farmhouse.

   Liam...

   The first thing you felt was the heavy pounding in your head, and then the aching which consumed your entire body. Slowly, you opened your eyes, then feeling the cold, hard ground beneath you. The air was sharp against the inside of your nose as you drew shuttered breaths in. Wherever you were, it was freezing.

   You grit your teeth at a particularly painful pulse from one side of your head to the other. From what you could see, in what was a dark, silent room, you were lying down on a dirty concrete floor, and there was hardly anything in the room. The door was on the opposite end of where you lay and made of metal, with what appeared to be four different custom locks installed on it. Whatever was usually held in here must have been incredibly difficult to keep in. Something like...

   Jack.

   Slowly, you tried to pick yourself up from where you were on the floor, but your entire body was stiff, and unhappy with this decision, so this was no easy task for you. It was only as you began to move that you noticed the heavy weight around both of your wrists. Squinting in the dark, you realised you were cuffed and chained to the wall you had been laying next to.

   You looked at the chains as you sat there, and began to test them, yanking and pulling every which way. Of course, as you had figured, they weren't going to budge so easily.

   Why am I here? You brain was finally starting to catch up with everything that had happened, and where you were. Where is Liam? Jack? Jeff? You swallowed, finding your throat dry. How long have I been here?

   You yanked on the chains again. You needed to see your little brother, know he was okay. You needed to get out of that dark room, wherever it was. Your breathing began to pick up as you staggered to your feet, trying to rip either your wrists from the cuffs or the chain from the wall. It had to budge. It had to give in to your panic and your terror. It had to.

   It wouldn't. Your wrists were beginning to hurt. Your entire body still ached, and you were alone with your pain and your thoughts.

   A visceral scream from somewhere else in the building sent the hairs along your body on alert. You clenched your jaw and squeezed your eyes shut. Please, you begged to the inner depths of your mind, please don't let that be Liam. It didn't sound like him, so you held out hope.

   Hours passed. You had fought against those chains until you'd rubbed all the skin from your wrists and they had begun to bleed before you finally gave up.

   More strange noises had been heard from outside the dark room, and you had slowly started to decipher that they sounded an awful lot like those proxies. More screams had been heard, and, at one point, you could have sworn you heard a voice you didn't recognise begging and pleading for their life. To whom, you didn't know.

   More hours went by. Maybe six, maybe ten, maybe forever— it sure felt like forever. Your stomach was twisting with hunger and you had fallen in and out of sleep, waiting achingly for something to happen.

   You woke to more screaming. The room had not gotten any warmer, and the chains any more comfortable. The wounds around your wrists faintly stung and itched. You were miserable.

   Your eyes snapped open at a clicking sound emitting from the direction of the door. Lifting up your head from the floor, you then scrambled to your feet, watching across the room as the locks, one by one, were undone. Heart pounding in your chest, you had tensed, waiting in silent, terrified anticipation for whatever was on the other side of the door to reveal itself.