Chapter 14

[14— Even Closer]

   "Do you still talk to that guy?"

   You looked at Liam in the mirror behind you. He sat on your bed, fiddling with one of the toys he brought from his room. "Guy?" you prompted.

   "Yeah. The guy in the blue mask."

   You took a deep inhale, unable to qualm the nervousness inhabiting you. You had been gradually growing more and more uneasy about the upcoming date throughout the date. Now, you were almost finished getting ready for it, and Liam had been with you all the while, though he had hardly said a word until now.

   "Um..." Was it okay to be honest with him? "Sort of."

   "Is that who you're going on a date with?"

   The breath you'd taken came out in a choked sputter as you failed to hold back a laugh. "No! No. I'm going out with Nico."

   You could see his mouth go up into a smile in the mirror. "Cool. He's nice."

   "He is, isn't he?"

   "The mask guy is, too," he went on. "How did you even meet him, anyway?"

   You pressed your lips together, turning away from the mirror to face him. "I guess by accident," you answered vaguely. "Why are you bringing him up?"

   "You don't," he answered plainly, eyes on his toy. "And I want to see him. The mask was cool."

   Clueless on what to say, you shifted where you stood for a moment. You hated lying to Liam, but he couldn't know the full truth. "Well, I don't know if you will be able to," you started, "he won't be around much longer."

   "Is he moving?"

   "Pretty much," It wasn't technically a lie, was it?

   "Hey," Iris's voice sounded from the door, and you looked over to see her peeking her head in. "I'm heading out for work."

   You glanced at the time, and then started toward her. "Me too, actually." You looked at Liam. "You're sure you'll be okay on your own?"

   The kid slid off the bed, nodding. "Yeah. I'll stay in upstairs like I'm supposed to."

   You smiled. "Good."

   You and Iris went downstairs together and out the door. Not much was exchanged between the both of you, but you didn't mind. You knew she was having problems at work recently, and you were too nervous to talk about much at the time anyway.

   Sitting on the top step of the porch, you watched as Iris pulled away in her car, and then the road for another one to come up. All the while, your mind wandered, and you could not help but think to the lemon verbena in a small bag in your pocket. What would you even say to Jack? "Here's the verbena you needed. Bye." You wanted to say something more. Needed to. But what?

   Headlights drifted in your field of view, and you looked up to see Nico's car slowing to a stop in front of your house. Getting to your feet, you hurried over, the twisting in your gut stronger than ever. His usual casual smile was on his face as you opened the passenger door, and he leaned back in his seat as he fully took the sight of you as you got in. The smile widened.

   "Took you long enough," you joked.

   "Aw, come on. It's only five minutes over," he joked back.

   Your heart pounded in your chest, though you weren't sure why you were having such a hard time looking at him.

   "...I look that bad?" you heard him say.