Chapter 15

[15— Twenty One Missing]

   Your phone buzzed next to you on the couch, and you reached for it, seeing it was a message from Nico. You glanced at Melina on the other side of you, and then read what he had sent.

   Hey! Last night was fun. You're at Melina's, right?

   You internally groaned, already knowing where it was going. You had been putting off telling him that you didn't have the feelings for him you thought you did, as finding out what happened after you told him was something you were dreading.

   Yeah

   Why?

   Just wondering! I was thinking we could probably hang out again today? ;)

   Actually, I have plans to go elsewhere today after Mel, sorry

   Really?

   You knew you had to. For Nico's sake. For your sake. For Jack's sake, even if it were only for a day. However, how cruddy would it be to do it over text? You may not have loved Nico in the way you thought, but you did still care about him, and he deserved better.

   Yeah, just have to have some me time

   A lot of socialising lately and its tiring lol

   Maybe tomorrow?

   Tomorrow it is, then

   Later!

   You ran a hand down your face, trying to settle down as much as you could, hating yourself a little more than you did five minutes ago. What am I going to do?

   "You good?" Melina asked.

   Rising from the couch, you nodded. "I'm fine," you said. "I'm just tired right now. I think I'm gonna head out early."

   She smiled. "Okay! See ya', [Name]."

   "See you." You made your way out of her house, heading for your car and slipping into the driver's seat. You allowed your body to sink into the seat, lulling your head back and closing your eyes. Again, the question of what to do came to you.

   A couple hours before I get to meet Jack again, and nothing to do. Great. Your phone vibrated, and you opened your eyes. What now, Nico? You checked, only to see it was from Vie. Her texts from last night came back to you, and you realised you had completely forgotten to call her.

   You quickly texted her a "sorry" and called her. It only rang for a few seconds before she had picked up.

   "The hell have you been doing, dude?" her voice sounded as you started up your car. In the background was what sounded like a video game.

   "Sorry," you said again, putting her on speaker. "I've been with Melina pretty much all day. Kinda forgot."

   "Eh, all well. Anyway. What I wanted to talk to about it. It's some freaky shit, man."

   Your brows knit together. "Yeah? "Freaky shit" sounds both important and urgent," you said, referencing her texts from last night.

   She chuckled as you pulled into the road. "I guess. I mean, I guess it's not urgent, unless you're still hanging out with that Jack guy and you've been lying to me about it."