Chapter 24

[24— Anything for You]

 || Jack's POV ||

   He was nearly finished eating the kidneys by the time you had come back downstairs. What you were doing up there, especially for so long after Jeff had come down and handed him his food, he didn't know. Jeff had gone off to elsewhere in the farmhouse, and by the sounds of it, Jack guessed it was probably the kitchen.

   You had come down quietly, not saying a word as Jack listened to you slowly descend the stairs and make your way over to where he was on the floor next to the couch. Liam was avoiding him, he could tell, but it wasn't as if there was much that could be done about it. After all, the kid was probably just now realising that what he was eating was, in fact, not chopped liver.

   When you came over, Jack turned his head in the direction Liam was, halfway across the room and leaning against the open windowsill. You seemed to understand, walking past him and toward the little kid.

   While Jack wasn't particularly attached to the child, he knew how much your brother meant to you, and thus would do what he could to take care of him— if Liam would even let him, that is. Even if he had to fight tooth and nail to protect him, he would, and he hoped that you knew he would.

   He listened to you slouch down to Liam's level next to him at the window, picturing you the way you had described yourself to him a few nights ago. He shifted where he sat, thinking about that night, and what he had wanted to do to you. He had wanted to rip you open, crawl inside of you, to stuff you, to make you beg, to mark you— to make you his. He had still wanted to.

   I'd kill anyone for you, he thought, still looking your way. I'd die for you, for your brother. Anything. Anything... anything. Perhaps it was the thing inside of him that which endlessly craved for nourishment, that also made him relentlessly hunger for something more with you.

   "I bet the kitchen has some really good food, if you want to check that out?" you suggested to Liam softly, your voice pulling Jack out of his thoughts.

   "Jeff's there," Liam answered plainly.

   You let out a small sigh, and then a short hum. "Well..."

   "Why can't you ever be honest with me?"

   Jack could sense the way you stilled. "W-What?" you stuttered.

   "They're both bad people, aren't they? They're disgusting, bad people, and you like one of them even when they are!" Liam exclaimed, though only a little louder than his previous words.

   You were speechless. Jack prepared to intervene.

   "Go away," Liam then said, his voice having returned to how it was a moment ago. "You smell awful."

   Straightening, you took a step back from the window. "Liam..." It was clear you were clueless on what to say, though the pain in your voice caused Jack's heart to lurch.

   "I said you smell!" Liam then shouted up at you. "And I don't like them! I don't want to be near them! Go away!"

   It took you a moment, but you did go away, dragging your feet back across the room toward Jack. He cleaned himself up as well as he could, having since finished eating, and followed the sound of you moving past him and throwing yourself down on the couch. You had rubbed your face with your hands in stress.

   Jack was looking up at you. "Are you alright?" he asked quietly.

   "Um..." You hesitated to answer. Perhaps you did not know what you wanted to answer with. "No. I guess not."