Chapter 21

Heeyy, sorry for taking a whole month to update! Hopefully this chapter being a little longer should make up for that. 

----------------------------------------------

[21— Closure]

   Jeff managed to leap out of the way, despite how much faster Jack was than him, as if he were expecting the lunge. The scarred man lashed out with his knife, but Jack dodged it with ease and flew at him again, landing a blow on the side of his face.

   Jeff stumbled, but quickly recovered in time to avoid the next blow, then swiping out with his leg to knock Jack's out from underneath him. Jack was too quick, however, taking Jeff up by his hoodie with one hand before whirling and slamming him against the wall hard enough to knock the breath out of him.

   Knife raised, Jeff went to stab him in the back, but Jack was faster, snatching up Jeff's arm mid-swing and ripping it out of its socket with strength that could have only from the starving thing inside of him. Jeff cried out, the knife slipping from his hand. Jack twisted him around with his arm before he threw him forward with enough force to nearly send him to the floor.

   Jeff stumbled, catching himself on the back of the couch with his good arm. He whirled around to face the demon, who was already on top of him. He swung a fist, but Jack blocked it and effortlessly slammed him into the floor. Jack lunged at him to pin him there, but Jeff rolled out of the way just in time, and you moved back to avoid getting caught up between them. Jack then lashed out, swiping up the bottom of Jeff's hoodie.

   Frantically, Jeff flailed on the floor, crawling and kicking to get away as Jack yanked at Jeff to pull him back. It was only then, as Jeff writhed toward you, that you noticed the fear in his eyes. Jack finally managed to pull himself up on top of Jeff, slowly crawling onto him and crushing him into the floor on his stomach. Jack hunched over him, fingers gnarled into Jeff's shoulders and his head lowered, snarling.

   "I get it! I get it! Fine!" Jeff exclaimed, his breaths frantic, as if he knew exactly what would be next. "Fuck! I won't hit them again!"

   "Oh, Jeff..." You stepped closer, and the man's attention shot up to you. "This is about much more than some stupid punch to the face."

   His face twisted, and he began to writhe harder. "Wh— what?" He asked, a strange mixture of bewilderment and panic in his voice. "What the fuck does that mean?"

   "Confess!" Jack seethed over him. "You tried to kill them!"

   "I didn't do shit!"

   Jack unsheathed his knife, yanking Jeff's head up by his singed hair and cradling his throat with the edge of the blade.

   "You sent that article to my friend and had Nico freak out on us, didn't you?" you yelled, hot with anger.

   Jeff growled in annoyance. "Jesus fucking— yeah, okay! Fine, yeah, sure, I did that!"

   You lowered down, eyes blazing with intensity. "How? Why?"

   Jeff's eyes moved back to Jack. "You remember that burner phone you stole, right?"

   Jack hesitated. "The one from the creep at the party?"

   "Yeah. That's what I used. Happy?"

   "No," you snapped. "How did you get Vie's number?"

   Jeff grumbled impatient, frustrated curses underneath his breath. "Whilst Jack over here was spending most of his precious fucking time fawning over you, I had plenty of time to do my own digging." His voice lowered in a mutter as he deprecatingly added, "Your friends are awfully terribly at keeping private things... private."