Music to my ears...

Art by dara on Twitter

"Hey Wil"

"Hi Tommy! Come sit down," Wilbur greeted Tommy as he sat on the desk beside him. Tommy was eager for what Wilbur had to say. "I was actually working on a piece that me and Sally started. You.. remember Sally, right?" His voice sounded hopeful, yet troubled as he trailed off. Tommy nodded returning Wilbur's gaze into his bright blue eyes. "Do you want to hear it?"

For the next ten minutes Tommy sat with his head on Wilbur's shoulder, swaying to the peaceful melodies strung from the acoustic guitar. He resisted the urge to sleep off in the comforting aura which radiated  as much as their smiles, especially Wilbur's. Tommy had noticed Wilbur had been increasingly stressed recently. He had had a lot of things taken from him since the election: his classroom, part of the budget for the music department, his hopes and dreams for a concert... It was basically tearing him apart.

Simple moments like this brought Tommy back to old times when Wilbur played tunes for the children, sometimes as a lullaby. Although this didn't help show off Niki's intelligence, those were secretly her favourite moments as well.

Warm droplets of salty water fell from Wilbur's face as he strummed to the rhythm of his heart. This is why he never gave up and music, and never will. It relaxed his mind. It calmed his soul.

"Hey, hey! What's happening here?" Quackity bursted in, causing Tommy and Wilbur to snap their heads up towards the door, disturbing the flow of music that has previously filled the room. "Uh I'm gonna have to ask you to leave man, this is my room now," he declared.

"What? Why? Who told you you could do this?" Wilbur questioned through shaky breaths. "'Schlatt of course," Quackity said answered plainly, striding in and taking as seat at Wilbur's desk. He sighed as Tommy and Wilbur both glare at him. Noticing this, he added, "This place looks like sh*t." That was the end of the line for Wilbur.

"Well it would look like this if I still had the music room. What does Schlatt even need all the space for? A conference room?" Wilbur snapped in heated response.

"Yeah actually, some big changes are being made and he doesn't want everything to be done in Dream's office." Wilbur rolled his eyes as Tommy stood up for him saying, "but that's not fair! Where is Wilbur going to stay then? You can't do that, big Q!"

"Not my rules, ask the real big guy," Quackity waved the two angry men off, unwilling to answer any more questions.

Outside, Wilbur was still troubled. Tommy and Niki, who has noticed how stressed Wilbur was, attempted to calm him down as he paced back and forth.

"No it's NOT OKAY." This partly startled Tommy which Wilbur saw but he crouched down, his grip on his hair tightening. "Hey, Wilbur. Wilbur look at me," Niki who tilted his head up to look at her while she took the chance to glance at Puffy standing in the hallway, not from the whole scene. "We can go to Dream and sort things out like when my classroom was ruined, alright. I'm sure he'll have a chat with him," she spoke softly to Wilbur who responded half-heartedly, "Thanks."

This chapter was really just to show how Wilbur is doing (not fully though) as his mental health continues to degrade.

@wilburfanart on twitter