1 | The Shadows of Death

* * *

* * *

The human world is nothing more than a playground for the Demon Clan.

With a masterful hand, the tall, menacing demon summoned energy for himself, absorbing any magic within the vicinity. His power increased as he focused on its output. It had been so long since he'd felt this free. He felt light as air, but the biggest he'd ever felt before.

Despite his recent emergence, his confidence was through the roof. The only thing the seal had managed to do was deplete much of his magical power. His spirit was still very much intact and fanned the flames for his motivation.

Thousands of years trapped had done little to quell his thirst for power and blood. He craved control and lusted after vengeance. Now that he once again walked the Earth, he would return to his former glory and finally achieve his ultimate dream. His ambitions were aimed high, and long ago, he'd almost succeeded in his quest. But the troublesome demon prince and his goddess girlfriend had managed to pull everything he'd worked hard for right out of his grasp.

But not this time.

He'd thought much of his return. After the seal was broken, and the Commandments along with other demons had escaped, he had known it would only be a matter of time before he, too, would be able to break free of the wretched prison the Demon Clan had been subjected to. He'd bided his time in the shadows, patiently awaiting this very moment where he could walk the earth's plain free as a bird.

These meat puppets serve no other purpose than to kneel before those far superior to them.

The world was as shitty as he remembered it—maybe even worse. Humans were a plague. A disease that spread its influence throughout the world, destroying everything it touched. The puny ants were a curse brought to the world. The only thing worse than a bastard human was a goddess.

That is why I shall be their god.

Azrael stood at the top of a hill overlooking a small mundane village. People milled about, going about their daily lives, so oblivious to the bigger picture. There was an entire war going on and yet they laughed and smiled so carelessly.

Azrael's dark, heavily lined eyes passed over the area, finding it the perfect target. He closed his eyes as his face sunk into the collar of his dark cloak. Taking a deep breath, the demon gathered all the energy he could. He lifted his hands as he exhaled. As his eyes flew open, the earth began to quake.

Dark wings sprouted from Azrael's back and he levitated high above the quaint town. He peered down in disgust at the human world. They were so weak.