13 | Mental Connection

* * *

* * *

Darkness encompassed Tozgal as he struggled to see his own two hands in front of his face, his mind swirling as he drifted through nothingness. His body was lightweight as he floated through the sea of emptiness, the once familiar feeling now foreign to him. A standstill. Tozgal moved slowly, unsure of where he was or how to find out. Though he was surrounded by the darkness, it wasn't that which concerned him, but the menacing aura lurking somewhere deep in the shadows. Somehow, the powerful aura was everywhere, only intensifying as he continued to move deeper into the black abyss.

The mounting pressure weighed down Tozgal's shoulders. This was a mission that was solely on par with his capabilities and everyone was depending on him. There was no time for hesitation. His sister was in trouble and as much as he distrusted Azrael, if finding him would be the key, then Tozgal would do what he had to for the sake of Obsidian and play Azrael for his one weakness.

The dream demon prepared himself for the confrontation, knowing Azrael had a special talent of pissing people off. He had to remind himself to not give Azrael the satisfaction of besting him and remain headstrong in his presence.

To keep his mind occupied, Tozgal thought of his childhood with Obsidian. They were the best of friends but also the greatest pains in the ass to each other. He had always been her protector and even now when she may have hated his guts, he would still be there.

Don't worry, little sis. Your big brother's coming.

Tozgal came to a stop, wary of venturing any further than he already had. The darkness was unsettling and he swore he heard faint whispers around him as the sinister aura intensified. There was no turning back. With determination, Tozgal called out to the darkness, demanding whatever was out there to show itself. Nothing. He squinted, standing his ground for whatever came.

Footsteps echoed in the quiet, growing louder with each step and Tozgal braced himself. With a tricky bastard like Azrael, he couldn't let his guard down, especially while being in his mindscape. Though the ways of the mind was Tozgal's level of expertise, Azrael was a sick bastard and knew how to play the game just as well.

"I should've known they'd send you to me," a deep voice spoke once the footsteps stopped.

Tozgal knew that voice and suddenly, a bright white light blinded his vision. Once it faded, he found himself in a small plain room standing across from the man with bright orange hair and long dark cloak.

It was odd to see how much Azrael had changed. His complexion was much paler, and his eyes cold and dead, void of any emotion or life. Azrael was a completely different person now and it was hard to believe that at one time, his little sister found love in him.

"Azrael," Tozgal breathed. It had been a very long time since they last saw each other.

"In the flesh." He mockingly bowed. "The magnificent dream eater has graced me with his presence. You must be in serious trouble if you're calling upon me. How long's it been? A few years?"