22 | Family Dinner

* * *

* * *

The human servants of Camelot castle moved about frantically as the agitated prince barked orders to get them to pick up the pace and ensure everything was as it should be. Things had to be perfect for Obsidian as that was what she deserved and he would kill them all without the slightest hesitation should anything be out of place or not to her liking. With his arms folded over his chest, he judgingly watched them set the dinnerware for the planned meal of the night. He was far from excited for the dinner he had been somehow swindled into, however the others seemed into the idea, so, here he was playing gracious host. Prince Zeldris  breathed a small sigh as he looked to the ceiling, praying to the gods that for all their sakes, nothing eventful would transpire over the course of the night.

Everything you do is for her, he reminded himself as Obsidian crossed his mind. It was his love for her that made him agree to this evening's dining experience and Azrael's addition. If not for her, (and an overzealous Iris),
Azrael would've never made it within thirty feet of any of them.

What was he planning, anyway? Zeldris had pondered and pondered the matter and had turned up empty. Surely, Obsidian wasn't his only focus, so what on earth could Azrael possibly be after? Zeldris shook his head as the answer seemed so far out of reach and he figured he would hopefully find out sooner rather than later.

"Sir Zeldris, things are going smoothly. Dinner shall be ready shortly." Cusack entered the room and bowed to his master.

"Good." He kept his response short as he continued to oversee the proper execution of the dining hall's setting.

"Young master, I must say, I am quite puzzled by your decision to host such an event when it is hardly the kind of thing you would normally do."

"That doesn't concern you." Zeldris's eyes narrowed and Cusack immediately spat out apologies, now embarrassed that he had upset the prince. "Just worry about finishing up here. It must all be perfect."

"Lady Obsidian is a lucky woman. She will be most delighted by your gesture of good faith...despite Sir Azrael not deserving it, that is."

"Tell me something I don't know. However, it's better for us to be allies than enemies. We don't need that kind of heat when Meliodas is still out there plotting his next move."

"Understood, Master Zeldris." Cusack bowed and went off to get the servants to work faster.

"I'm curious as to why you agreed to this myself." From behind, Tozgal stepped up to stand beside Zeldris. He nodded curtly though the latter was too stressed to even acknowledge him.

"I'm willing to play this game with Azrael if it means no conflict among our clan," Zeldris replied.

"We all know his primary objective."

"Of course. He's as transparent as water, but don't worry. I know what I'm doing."

Tozgal peered over at him, wondering what went through his head when he decided to play host to one of his greatest enemies. Playing the game with Azrael was like playing with fire. Sooner or later, someone was bound to get burned and Tozgal sure hoped the recipient would not be Zeldris.