21 | From the Dead

* * *

* * *

Azrael tentatively kissed the top of Obsidian's head as they sat beside each other on the cave's floor, his arms protectively wrapped around her. How he missed tender moments like these where it was just the two of them, though he knew this time together would be short lived. As much as he wished for the two of them to stay, Obsidian had the rest of her family to get back to, and he wouldn't be the one to deny her.

He looked down at her while brushing stray hair from her face. Though she was still angry, he didn't mind as she soon would see that he was doing what was best for them. And when she did, he would be happily waiting with open arms.

"Are you still upset with me?"

"What do you think?"

"I should've run the deal by you before I made it. That was selfish of me, and I promise it won't happen again."

"I don't believe you," she said bluntly and folded her arms, beginning to lift her head off his shoulder until he stopped her with his hand. His fingers ran through her hair in an attempt to soothe her and he was happy to know that trick still seemed to work.

"Just give me time to make it right. I promise all of this will have a great pay-off, okay?" He looked into her eyes and refused to look away until she acknowledged his gaze. He triumphantly grinned when he got a smile out of her and squeezed her shoulder.

"Aw, look at this. You guys are so precious," Meliodas cooed sarcastically, making Obsidian instantly sit up and shoot him an evil glare. "If I ever act like that, just kill me. For fuck's sake, you two are supposed to be badasses. When did you get so weak?"

Azrael quickly pulled Obsidian back down when she made a move to get up. He was equally annoyed by Meliodas's comments, but also had the patience to hold back for now. He had to play nice in order to get what he so desperately wanted even if it meant entertaining Meliodas's bullshit.

"Hey, blondie, just because I can't kill you doesn't mean I can't kick your ass," Obsidian threatened.

"I'll keep that in mind, 'darling'."

Azrael gave Obsidian a cocky look. "Right, and I'm the asshole."

"Don't start with me." Her eyes narrowed.

"We should get going." Azrael began to get up and pulled Obsidian to her feet. "How do you feel?"

"Honestly? Nervous."

"For what reason?" He cocked his head to the side.

Obsidian sighed. "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me."

"Well, I've been gone for a while and everyone's been so worried about me. I just...I did the one thing they didn't want me to do. And now I'm just showing up like nothing happened?" Obsidian shook her head with a heavy sigh.