5 | The Dreaded

* * *

* * *

"Wow." Iris stood at the top of the large hill overlooking the completely obliterated village.

From the looks of it, it had been a massacre. Nothing had managed to survive the gruesome scene. Iris wondered how many demons there had been—ten, twenty? The remnants of lingering magic were off the charts so it must've been a swarm of demons that had overtaken the village.

"Dal! Any survivors?" Zeldris called to him.

"Not from where I'm standing," he replied, breath-taken by the gruesome scene.

"Where could all the demons that were here have gone?" Gloxinia wondered.

"It definitely wasn't a group." Zeldris shook his head. "The magical power came from one source."

"Iris?" Gloxinia looked at her.

"I don't know. I can't see anything." She frowned, her eyes closed and her hands extended to reveal the eyes on her open palms. "All I can see is—Ace! You better not lick that!"

Everyone turned to see Ace freeze up as he knelt beside some food splattered on the ground. He sheepishly grinned and got up, now embarrassed that he'd been reprimanded.

"You are disgusting, you know that?" Dalmaroz glared at him.

"What? I wanted to know what it was."

"The thing is, I can only see moments in time that may or may not occur. There are endless possibilities and the future is always changing. Not to mention, it takes a lot of concentration to hone in on a single person and I wouldn't even know where to start." Iris puffed out her cheeks.

"It's alright, Iris." Zeldris moved forward and looked around some more.

"Whoever did this has to be powerful," said Gloxinia.

"I've seen devastation like this before. This is the work of Azrael." Ace said passively as he tucked his hands behind his head.

"Bullshit." Dalmaroz didn't believe him for a second. Even for Ace, the statement was so utterly stupid. "Azrael is dead. We all know that."

"Do we, though?" Ace wondered, making Dalmaroz squint his eyes. "People come back from the dead all the time. Meliodas did it. Maybe Azrael could, too."

"He's right. Who else could do something like this?" Iris teared up, wondering if it truly could be their old friend. "Oh, by the gods, Azrael! Is it really you?"

"It doesn't matter." Zeldris moved from where he was crouching. He stood up as he looked out at the rest of what was once the village. He frowned, secretly wondering if it was actually possible. It was such a huge display of sheer force and power that fit Azrael's style and capabilities, but Zeldris refused to even entertain the thought.