4. Eavesdropping

(El's Pov:)

It's around 10:45pm and i've been doing homework waiting for 12:00 to hit. I want to try to find out who Will is calling every night. I know it's bad but I can't help it. I need to know!!

I wonder if Will is doing okay. He seemed really mad at Johnathan earlier.. Maybe I should check on him.

I got up from my desk and made my way over to Wills room.
I softly knocked on the door.
"Will? It's El. Are you doing okay?"

no response.

I opened his door to find him sleeping and listening to music. Hmm maybe I should sleep too. I'm kinda tired.

I went back to my room deciding I was gonna sleep for a bit. I just have to wake up before 12:00.

I lay down in my bed with lots of thought in my head before finally drifting off to sleep.

~

My eyes flutter open to the sound of quiet laughter. It takes me a second to recognize. It was Will.

Shit.

I whip my head over to the alarm clock and it reads
"3:07"

3 in the morning?? He's still talking to her? Weird.

I slip out from under the covers and quietly place my feet on the floor. Tiptoeing over to my door. I have to pass by Johnathan and Joyces room to get to Wills. Very inconvenient.

I quietly open up the door and sneak out into the hallway. I can still faintly hear Will laughing and talking. He seems very happy talking to her.
I'm glad.

I finally make my way outside of his door. I went to go take a step closer to listen but I accidentally stepped on a creaky floor board.

Shit.

There's no way he could've not heard that.

I leaped into the bathroom just incase he heard and came out to check. After a second and I didn't hear anything I came back out and tiptoed over to his door again this time making sure to avoid the noisy floorboard.

I leaned over and put my ear up to his door.

I heard someone on the other side of the phone say "I love you Will."

Woahhh did I hear that right? Will must really like this girl for her to be saying I love you.

Will sounded flustered and embarrassed

"I love you too.... Mike"

The word hit me like a million little daggers directly into my heart. I instantly felt tears pricking the edges of my eyes.

Mike said he loves Will?

Why Will?

Why not me?

I'm his girlfriend why doesn't he say he loves me?

Without even thinking I get up and run back to my room tears spilling out of my eyes.

It all makes sense now.

All the extra long stares and lingering hands were never by mistake or just friendly. It was never all just in my head.

Mike loves Will. As more than a best friend, he always has.

And Will loves him too.