6. Mad Max

(El's pov)

I instinctively woke up at 5:40-ish to get ready for school before realizing it was Saturday and also spring break.

I got up anyway to go clean my face from the dried tear stains and old ruined mascara to try and make some of the puffiness die down from crying the previous night.

After I cleaned myself up a bit I decided to go back to sleep. As I lie there I thought about how I was going to face Mike knowing that he's not in love with me but my brother.

I think it will be hard at first but i'll be okay.

I'm happy for them both because I know they love each other but it still hurts a bit. But I'll get over it.
As much as I don't wanna admit it I've always kinda known Mike never really loved me like that. I know he still loves me. But just not like that.
He loves me just as he loves Dustin, Lucas, and Max.
And honestly I'm okay with that. :)

This whole situation is really making me miss Max. I remember when Mike would forget our date to hang out with Will, Max would always take me to go do something else to take my mind off it. Or even just do the smallest things cheer me up when I simply frowned. She always knew when I was sad. I don't know how but she always did.

Just then I decided I knew what I was gonna do.

I got up from my bed and walked out to the phone in the kitchen bringing it back to my room.

I typed in the number.

The line rang for a few seconds before someone answered.

"Hello?" the person on the other like spoke sounding groggy as if they weren't fully awake.

"Oh my goodness i am so sorry Max I forgot how early it was there i am so sorry I will go, you go back to sleep"

"El? Hey no no it's alright what's up?"

"Oh it is nothing Max please go back to bed I am sorry for bothering you."

"No it's okay don't worry about it, what's wrong??" she questioned in a worried tone.

See?

She always knows.

"It's kind of a long story are you sure you're okay with it being so late there?"

"Of course El. I told you to call no matter what didn't I?"

A smile crept onto my face and I felt my cheeks warm up.

"Yeah I guess you did."

"So go on, tell me everything I promise it's okay"

And so I did.

I told her everything, I told her about the phone calls, I told her about the painting, I told her about the bullies, I told her about Mike and Nancy coming to visit, I told her everything... but most importantly.. I told her about my plan.

She was all for it.

She said she's gonna talk to Mike. I don't know what about but I trust her so it doesn't really matter.

Max was talking about some stupid thing Mike did the other day when without even thinking about it or realizing what I was doing I said..

"I love you Max"

It felt like the words just spilled out of my lips like I couldn't control what I just said I just.. did.

"And then he- Oh.. I love you El"

"Oh i'm so sorry I didn't mean to interrupt you I don't know what came over me."

"It's okay El"

I smiled to myself.

"But I really do love you Max. So much. You're always there for me, you always have been. It's like you always know when I'm upset, always it's actually kinda weird. You always just simply know. And you always know how to cheer me up. I just- I'm so great full to be able to have someone like you in my life. I literally just called you at like 3 in the morning and dumped a shit ton of crappy stuff that's happening in my life and you just sat there a listen and understood and helped. That's such an amazing thing to be able to have and I'll forever be grateful for all of the love and kindness you've shown me Max."

"That's what best friends are for aren't they?"

"Yeah they are" I said back.

But I think that I wish we were more..

I think that I love you as more than a best friend.

But I could never tell you that.

"Thank you so much for listening to me ramble about my fucked up shit once again Max but i'm now forcing you to sleep because you need it!!"

"Awwh cmon sleeps overrated! Can't we talk for longer? I miss you so much."

I felt myself blush at her words.

"I miss you too Max but you need to sleep. And I need to go talk to Mike about surprising Will."

"Okay okay.. Good luck with your plan El.. make sure to keep me updated if anything juicy happens" She said laughing.

Her laugh is so beautiful.

"Will do, bye Max.. I love you"

"I love you El"

I blushed again for the millionth time this morning and hung up the phone..

Maybe getting over Mike won't be so hard after all....

;)

(AN: Im sorry I know this is a byler fanfic but this is just pure ElMax fluff  LMAO hope u enjoyed it! also sorry about this chapter being so short again i have like no motivation to write these chapters because they're like filler chapters to get to where i need to be for the actual story and it's super boring to write. But i promise the next chapter will be longer!!)