𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐: 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Matthew Perry-Benson

What to do...what to do? The empty thoughts of boredom relaxed in Matthew's mind as he leaned back into the leather desk chair.

He looked out the window that reached the ceilings. The view of New York in early January dusted over with white snow was quite the sight to see. His gaze reached upwards, he didn't understand why architecture allowed a wall of see-through glass be made as some sort of support for such a tall building. Only a side of his office was built that way, all of the other walls were bare with a few agency plaques for minimal decoration. Still, Matthew pondered about the odd idea.

If these walls could talk, what would they say...?
He was never able to finish that thought when a knock reverberated from the other side of the door.

"Happy New Year, Matty-boy!" A perfect grin ran from ear to ear on Bourne's face as he walked into the room.

"Bourne!" Matthew chuckled, standing from his seat behind the desk to embrace his former (yet forever) boss.

"So, how's it going? You taking care of the ol' agency?"

Matthew couldn't stop smiling at the moment. "Yeah, yeah," he nodded, soon looking away to observe the office that looked the same as it always had, "we're not doing so bad."

Bourne flashed his pearly white teeth as his smile grew larger than before. "And, how are you liking the office? Great view, right?"

Funny. He was just thinking the same thing a few moments ago.

Matthew squinted slightly, he knew Bourne had never made an unexpected visit for some small talk. "Uh, yeah, it's good...?"

Bourne shook his head, although his smile didn't fully disappear. He made it over to the leather couch and sat, clearly making himself at home.

"Alright, what's going on?" Matthew couldn't take it anymore.

Bourne looked at him, a humorous offended tone took over. "I don't know what you mean. Can't your former, generous, wise and extremely kind boss just come up here for a little visit? A simple hello?"

Matthew rolled his eyes and crossed his arms as he stood in front of Bourne. "He can, but that's never the true case. So, what do you want?"

Bourne sighed and looked away for a second. "It's my niece."

Matthew's eyebrows rose. He knew Bourne had discovered his siblings a couple of months ago and went up north to visit them over the Christmas holiday. What he didn't know was how much family he had discovered, or what had happened over the holiday.

"She's coming up to New York to study at the University for an arts program this semester."

Bourne didn't seem too happy with his news, Matthew stood searching for his facial expressions.

"I've offered for her to stay with me, as long as she's, you know, studying down here. But of course... I know nothing about adolescent females. Or what to do with them."

Matthew held in his laugh, but his face couldn't hold the idiot smile off for any longer. "So you've come to me about this?" He felt somewhat flattered, but at the same time knew this was ridiculous.

Bourne leaned forward. "I don't know who else to go to! I know she wants to explore and see sights, but does that mean I have to play tour guide or something?"

Matthew let his chuckle escape as he sat on the single-seater couch beside his poor friend. "Well, you should probably just ask her when she arrives. Ask her what she wants to see and do."

Bourne shook his head, looking down. "Yeah, you're right. Her mother said she has to be looking for a part-time job to keep herself busy after school."

"Ah see? Maybe you have nothing to worry about if she's going to be working and going to school," although Matthew really couldn't have known himself, since he's never been through this type of situation.

"Ah, oh-well. Thank you, Matty-boy," Bourne stood.

Matthew smiled as he walked Bourne out of his office and into the hallway. "Hey, any time. But don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll be fine with her—"

"Ooh, with who?" The sweet voice behind him sounded. Bourne shuffled to the side and held out his arms for an embrace.

"Vanessa!" He called and she met him for a short hug.

A flush of heat ran through Matthew's body. He hadn't seen her yet, not since before she left for her vacation, which felt like a lifetime ago. How was he supposed to react?

"Who were you talking about just now?" She let go of Bourne, a glint of curiosity in her hazel eyes. She turned towards Matthew, who seemed to have frozen in time.

Bourne caught his eyes. "Uh, my niece is coming into town and staying with me as she studies at NYU this semester."

Vanessa's smile seemed to warm in delight. She clasped her hands together. "Oh, that's great!"

Bourne nodded, though his smile expressed something unusual. He seemed uncomfortable, which was rare.

Matthew seemed to come to life that minute as he finally released the stiffness in his back, allowing him to relax. He realized he shouldn't just be standing there and looking dumb. "Well, Bourne's a little worried about her coming to stay with him, he hasn't had a roommate in quite some time now."

Vanessa looked back at Bourne. "Aww, well I'm sure everything will be alright. You'll see," she patted his arm slightly as Matthew spotted Darla coming towards them down the hall.

"Micheal, I thought Mondays were your off-days," her smooth, yet sarcastic tone caught Bourne's ears and all of his attention. It appeared as though she could easily whisk him away at any time and he gladly accepted to walk away from their on-going conversation.

With Bourne gone, Matthew was left standing alone in the now quiet hallway with Vanessa.

"So," she turned to face him, "you wanted to see me in your office? Is now a good time?"

Matthew found himself frozen again. He had completely forgot to make up a valid excuse as to why he really needed her in his office.

What do I say...what do I say?!

"Uh, yes," he cleared his throat, "I've been thinking... about some architectural changes to my office and I need a second opinion."

Vanessa's mouth shut closed, she looked at him somewhat confused but still followed him in.

Matthew counted that as a win, so far, and he hoped there was many more to come.

A/N

Don't give up on Matty-boy yet, you guys. Haha.