𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓: 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐧

Blake Farmer

"Do you know anything about mathematical data analysis and conversion?" The young man who was sitting low in his desk chair kept looking from the computer screen in front of him to the figure that stood hovering over him.

Blake blinked twice before responding, shifting his feet slightly. "Uh, no."

Nathan shook his head. "Then you're no help at all."

Blake chuckled, trying to hide the ounce of embarrassment he felt at that moment. Sure, they were all new recruits that had entered a part-time employment at the CCPA, yet he always felt a step behind everybody that was with him.

He didn't know anything technical or mathematical or anything that had to do with being an agent. But he was here for a reason, and was quite determined to make himself fit into a place where he wanted to belong.

"Good morning, rookies!" Mr. Bourne came in with a dazzling smile. Somehow everybody shared the same relieved look whenever they saw him in a good mood.

Blake leaned himself against the wall behind the desks. He watched as his mentor came around to the front of the room and started handing out assignments.

"Hey-Hey Blakey," Bourne was about a foot a away from him, his arm half outstretched with a piece of paper for Blake to receive. You know Bourne is in a real good mood when he starts using made-up nicknames.

"Morning," Blake received the paper and started scanning the information with his eyes.

"Talk to your mom recently?" It became a natural question for Bourne to always ask.

"Actually, yes, she got my Christmas gift and said to wish you a Happy New Year," Blake smiled remembering his mother's voice over the phone.

Bourne's smile widened. "Thank you, of course I wish her the same," he nodded as he passed more pages to the others around Blake.

"So what's this all about?" Blake held the page higher.

Bourne shrugged. "Somebody's doing bad stuff again."

Blake shook his head. "No I mean, is it real this time?"

Usually, rookies didn't get first-hand real life cases, especially if they were still in training.

Bourne laughed loudly. "Of course not, now go crack the code," he pulled his sleeve to check his watch for the time. "I've got an errand to run right now."

"Why are you off in such a hurry?" Nathan stretched over, making it obvious he was eavesdropping.

Bourne looked at the both of them and shook his head. "Doesn't matter. Just don't make a mess, okay?" He already started walking in the other direction but kept calling out to them. "I want to come back to a clean office!"

Nathan looked up at Blake from his chair, amused. "Seriously, where does this guy have to go at this time of day?"

Blake shook his head, looking back at his boss rushing through the floor. "No idea."

~~~

M. Bourne

"Did you have a nice flight?" Bourne picked up the handle of a large burgundy suitcase with a neon yellow tag sticking out and wheeled it towards him.

"Thanks, yeah," his niece pulled a bag over her shoulder and in the other hand held a guitar case. Her red hair bulged in a top knot on the top of her head with the hood of her oversized sweater stretched over it.

"You want me to carry anything else?"

She pulled the strings of her earbuds and wrapped them around her hand. "No, no, I got it."

He started guiding her throughout the airport to the exit he knew his driver was parked at.

"So, no bodyguards or anything?" She raised her eyebrows, expectant of a humorous response.

He smiled and shook his head. "Not unless I'm hauling a criminal with me."

She seemed surprised, as if she realized he wasn't joking. "Oh, I see."

He tried not to make it too awkward. He tried asking her a lot of questions and made conversation. He was quite interested in the life she was planning, but didn't want to invade any guarded territory.

When they entered his apartment building, he quickly wanted to make sure she grew comfortable. They rode the elevator ride all up to floor 64.

"Now, it's no dorm room you could have gotten at NYU, but I'm sure you'll find it accommodating to all your basic living necessities," he lugged her suitcase down the hallway and stopped to unlock the door.

The apartment looked like any other modern downtown New Yorker's, with ceiling high windows, dark hardwood floors and fine marble countertops.

She walked around and familiarized herself with every inch of the place. Bourne held out a copy of his key he had made for her and she was giddy to accept it. He smiled feeling he could breathe a bit better now that she arrived.

Maybe there was nothing to be worried about, just like Matthew told him.

Bourne showed her the makeshift guest bedroom he put together, along with where to find towels and the laundry room down on the first floor.

"I know your mother said you had to be looking for a job, if you want I can help—"

She held her hands out. "Oh no, I couldn't possibly ask you to do any more favours."

He shrugged. "It's no big deal, really."

She shook her head, her lips formed a smile. "I'm sure I can handle it."

He took that as a sign to take a step back. "Well, I'll give you some time to settle in for now. I have to head back to the office."

"Okay, well, I'll just be here unpacking," she stood still, in an awkward-waiting position.

Bourne smiled. "I'm just a call away if you need anything."

She pressed her lips together. "Thanks, Uncle Bourne."

Bourne turned around and left, not letting her see the uplifting, heart-wrenching feeling at the sound of him being called an uncle for the first time.

His new roommate wasn't half bad so far.

A/N
New characters unlocked...