𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖: 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐬...

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States of America
Giselle Daniels

Giselle sat on the right side of the private jet and stared out the window the entire time. Although it was daytime, the sun was hidden behind giant clouds in the sky which made everything feel dark. Giselle didn't want to watch a movie, she didn't want the snacks that were offered to her, she just wanted to sit alone. The five hour flight made it seem like Giselle had lost a week of her life.

It's five silent, awkward hours she'll never get back.

Not once did she allow herself to look around. She felt the need to discipline some self-control into herself. For example, preventing from looking around will not enable her to look at the man sitting on the opposite side of the plane.

Once they landed, Giselle immediately stood and took her bag. She couldn't wait until she was out of the stuffy jet and was outside and could breath fresh air again.

She walked down the stairs and threw her sunglasses on to block her eyes from the blazing sun. The heat off the runway was quick to make her body temperature raise and she was already restless. She paused to recollect herself.

"You okay?" His voice rumbled from behind. She didn't realize he was standing so close and practically face planted in his chest when she turned.

She took a wobbly step back but her heel caught in a crack in the pavement and she ended up losing her balance, falling backwards all too suddenly and letting out a squeak.

His hands caught her by her forearms and pulled her at full speed towards him once again. He held her until she was steady. "Are you sure you're okay?" He chuckled.

Although a smile cracked for a split second, Giselle wasn't having it. She turned and took a step. "Yes, thank you," she didn't look at him, "it's probably just the jet lag," she muttered.

Charlie just gave a slight nod and headed towards the shiny black car that was awaiting them.

Giselle felt more of a fool than ever. She adjusted her sunglasses so they weren't crooked and followed him to the car.

He opened the door and insisted that she go in first, the smirk he still had planted on his face only made her more embarrassed. She didn't know how to explain it, but knowing he saw her almost collapse made her feel too open. She wanted to present herself as strong and independent.

I don't need you, she thought, stop saving me every chance you get.

The fire was already planted deep inside her, yet as the days kept passing she felt it ignite into anger and hurt feelings. She had a feeling these next few days were going to be very difficult for her.

~~~
Charlie Huntington

"Okay," she cleared her throat as she opened the blue folder that was set out in front of them. "We need to capture as much evidence as we can, Matthew has given us a few police station investigators in the area, I'm sure we can get their help..."

Charlie sat in a wooden chair in a basement of what looked like a dentist office. Around them, the a few Las Vegas FBI agents were studying cases.

Charlie glanced around them. Everyone was either in a suit or in all black, Charlie included. The only person that stood out was Giselle in her pastel pink attire. Although she had the look of a professional, she had the most beautiful complexion. The apples of her cheeks were naturally blushed to perfection and her olive-coloured skin tone reflected a type of glow only Giselle had.

"Charlie? Are you listening to me?" She was standing right in front of him.

What he wanted to tell her was that she had his full attention all of the time. In fact, there were moments where he couldn't stop thinking about her.

All he did was just nod his head and snap out of his own brain.

~~~

Hours went by. They inspected the blown-to-bits site where a church once stood.

The sun had already started ducking beneath the earth and darkness was filling up the street they were standing in.

A police officer that escorted them there gave them a huge folder. Inside was a slip of paper that identified a type of fingerprint. Within a plastic bag contained a broken piece of a device.

Giselle guessed it was a bomb or grenade. Charlie read the slip of paper.

"This can be easily transferred into our system as a suspected fingerprint," he kept scanning the lines of the printed ink on the page.

"Well there's no time to waste," Giselle looked a bit more hopeful.

As soon as they came back, Charlie was sent to work scanning the finger print and inputting it into the agency's system.

Once the download completed he scanned the system for similar fingerprints. His eyes widened.

"Hey, Gi?" He called for her to look at his monitor screen.

Giselle's eyebrows furrowed. "It looks like an exact match."

"Yah, the question is, who's is it?"

Giselle stood with her arms crossed. "What do you mean?"

"The fingerprints are a match, yet there's no label. We don't know who's they are," Charlie tried scrolling through the documents, but no information was found.

Giselle's voice sounded irritated and tired. "Who put a fingerprint into the system without labeling the suspect?"

They both looked at each other, he didn't have an answer for her. He knew they both felt disappointed they couldn't figure out more.

Charlie blinked back down at the screen. "We should go back to the agency. I can do more digging with the technology there."

Charlie left Las Vegas more confused about the mission than he had going into it.

A/N

Uploaded this while I was at 1%. God does miracles y'all.