𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗: 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐬

Luna Fitzgerald

The past couple of days staying with her uncle weren't as bad as Luna had thought. Though she seemed to be settling into his large New York apartment, Luna found herself lost as to how to fit into this new city.

Coming from a smaller town down south had kept her inside of a box. This was a chance to get out there, see the busy streets, buzzing city life and establish something she could call her own.

But the job hunt wasn't going well. One deal she made with her parents before coming up here was that she had to find a job and eventually learn how to financially provide for her things.

She didn't want a job at the agency that her uncle was happily able to offer her. She knew she could find something herself, but as time went on her hopes fell flat.

"Why don't we go out with your resume and look for jobs the old fashioned way," her uncle suggested on a sunny afternoon.

"Like go around and asking if they're hiring? Does anybody actually do that anymore?" She was sitting upright with her legs laid out on the couch, she had made good use of the term "get yourself comfortable."

Bourne nodded, standing by the kitchen sink. "Yeah, and that way you could also get used to these busy streets."

She closed the laptop and held it. "Well, okay then, if it doesn't mess up your busy schedule."

He scoffed, seeming jokingly offended. "Please, I'm as free as a bird."

The jokes made her cringe, but she was grateful for his help. In no time she had a stack of resumes and was bundled up in her new winter gear.

The walked and entered retail stores, bakeries, restaurants but it wasn't until they entered a little diner a few blocks away from Bourne's apartment that they were interested in interviewing her right away.

Bourne waited outside until she was finished, and when she came out with a big smile he assumed things went well.

"They gave me a job right away! Said they were desperate I guess, I start training next Monday."

"That's great!" He smiled, keeping his hands in his pocket  and his head ducked underneath the risen collars of his jacket. His phone began ringing before she could say another word, but at this point she was used to it.

He answered the call, his face grew serious as his eyebrows curved in. He swayed in the cold, Luna saw the tip of his pointy nose was pink. His breath turned to vapour with every hushed word he was able to get out through the moments in between whatever the person on the other side was rapidly telling him. He finished with an "okay, I'll be there soon I'm not too far out."

Once he turned towards her, she already knew where he had to go.

"Something came up at the office, I have to get there right now."

Instead of her quick goodbyes she suggested she come with him.

His eyebrows rose. "Really?"

"Yeah, I think it'd be cool to see where my uncle practically lived and breathed for most of his life."

He just shrugged with a grin forming across his face. "Alright, then, we have to go right now."

Once they got to the front of the building, Luna was taken aback.

She stared up at the tall building. It was massive, her neck started aching.

"What's wrong?" She heard Bourne call to her from the entrance.

She walked up to him, "I didn't think it was this massive."

"What you think I ran a little private agency that had no hype... or whatever?"