𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔: 𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞

Matthew Perry-Benson

"You ever get the feeling some things happen for a reason?" Matthew pondered their question out loud, not sure what he was getting for a response.

"Sure. All things happen for a reason," although her answer flowed without effort, Vanessa's eyes were glued to whatever buttons she was taping on her phone screen.

Matthew was desperate to try to get her attention for no real reason, but it bothered him in some ways. He remembered their last mission, they way he could talk to her about anything and she would listen. It didn't seem that was the case anymore.

That's about to change... he thought as his coworkers filed into the familiar boardroom.

"What's this, Matt?" Charlie gently placed down his bright blue folder where he sat, leaning back.

Matthew sighed, "We've been contacted to look into a scandal that happened in Las Vegas."

Giselle quickly sat in the nearest spot next to Charlie. Matthew had noticed the weird tension between them as well.

"There have been no leads, and no further clues to the investigation," Matthew scanned through the few pieces of information. His mind grew blank. The police weren't much of a help these days.

"So where do we start?" Giselle sat up straight.

Matthew sat back down at the head of the table, sighing. "I need an investigative team to head down to Vegas and see what you can find."

Matthew looked up at Charlie and Giselle. "Any volunteers?"

Giselle rolled her eyes and Charlie gave a smirk. They already knew what was coming.

"Wait. Hold up. Investigation team?" Vanessa's voice sliced the air.

Matthew stared, confused. "We need to figure out some things for ourselves-"

"Charlie and Giselle are our tech crew, what does that have to do with investigation?"

Matthew's eyebrows rose. "They have the perfect experience in documentation and can figure out certain aspects with their knowledge in technology. Something nobody else right now can do."

Vanessa fiddled with the news in her mind. "Listen, all I'm saying is last time—"

"Last time was a different mission," Matthew's voice was stern.

"Well, yeah but-"

"Vanessa, you have a lot on your plate," he tried to ease the news, but it didn't seem to help. He knew waiting for others wasn't her specialty, especially in this case.

Vanessa sat back, looking offended. "I never said that."

Matthew felt annoyed. "You didn't have to, everybody can see it."

Vanessa started making more arguments. Matthew remained calm. "When we need you to step in, I'll come get you," he smiled, but it sure didn't seem to help. He didn't want to appear as the bad guy, but recently some of his decisions weren't getting him to be the crowds favourite.

"Alright," Vanessa huffed. "So, we're done here?"

Matthew nodded solemnly. Vanessa was the first to get up and leave.

"Uh, just one more thing," Matthew grimaced. Charlie and Giselle turned to face him. "I need you to work with the fellas on floor 24."

Charlie's faced dropped and Giselle looked pained. "What do you mean, floor 24?"

Matthew stood, placing the few stray papers neatly in his folders. "It has been brought to my attention that this years rookies need some new... experience, or whatever."

Charlie rolled his eyes. "Doesn't Bourne entertain them enough?"

Matthew looked up. "Listen, just sort out what you can. Make sure it comes straight to me and then we'll go from there."

Charlie sighed an okay and Giselle just pressed together her best smile. Matthew felt like sharing their dread but had to remain in his place as their lead.

"At least it's the rookies and not the ladies on floor 24," she muttered to Charlie as they left.

Matthew chuckled. It felt good getting to work with them again, like last time.

He paused, catching himself. "It's not like last time," he had to keep repeating, especially out loud. He had convinced himself things were not going to be the same, neither were the people he was working with. Whatever was building up in his mind was a fantasy, anybody could see it.

Wake up. Stick your head out of the tall windows and breath in the polluted air of the busy city. This isn't a time to fool around and daydream, it's time to start showing who's boss.

And that's me, he stood with more purpose.

And bosses don't have relationships with their coworkers...
And sometimes they make decisions that their team isn't happy with.
But they are the boss.

Things were going to be different. Change was never an easy thing but it was inevitable. The best was to just do what he had to do and get this problem solved.

With minimal problems hopefully, too.

A/N

Happy New Year to everyone reading!

My goal for 2023: get this story finished haha