Getting along

All characters and content other than my own belongs to the makers of 'The Patriot' :) enjoy everyone!

-Cate

*******************

     Sitting down across from Cornwallis, I took out my notebook and started flipping through it," I assume that we will be leaving at dawn for the fort?"

     Cornwallis nodded," That is correct. Once the last shipment of men and supplies arrives we will be leaving." he nodded to my dress," Will you be able to ride?"

     I nodded," I have my riding uniform and boots. I'll change before it's time to leave." It was a really good coincidence that I had a habit of keeping my riding outfit in my night bag.

     He smiled at this," Good, good. Now, we don't have a horse for you at this moment so you will have to ride with one of my soldiers." he watched my reaction as I thought this over.

     I pursed my lips and said," That's perfectly fine Sir. How far is the fort from here?"

     "About an hours worth of riding my dear." he set his glass down on the desk," I think it would be best if you rode with Colonel Tavington. Afterall, you two will be working closely once your uniform is ready and you have done your training." he studied me," You two are to get along during the length of this war."

     Biting back a smart remark about having to ride with Tavington, I responded," Of course Sir. I understand. When will my uniform be ready?"

      "In two weeks time my dear. That will be enough time for you to become accustomed to our ways around here." Cornwallis chuckled," Even though I have no doubt that you already know how things work around here."

     I laughed," Too right you are Sir." I laid my leather bound notebook on his desk," Here are my notes from my time reguarding the war. Not everything is in it, because I am not permitted to change the outcome, but I think these will help you get a foothold on what to be prepared for." I folded my hands in my lap," That book is not to be seen by anyone but yourself Sir."

     Cornwallis picked up the book and started to flip through it," You have my word that only I will see what lies within this book."

     I nodded and stood, slinging my bag over my shoulder in the process," Oh and Lieutenant?" he looked up," There is only one thing you need to keep in mind and promise me. Make sure Colonel Tavington stays to your orders at all times of this war."

     A look of curiosity crossed his face," And why is that?"

     I started towards the door, stopping before I opened it," Because if you do not, his actions will reflect horribly on you." I looked back at him," And you will come to know why the populars call him The Butcher." With that I left the room, quietly closing the door behind me.

      In the hallway I had to stop short in order to avoid running into Tavington. My head only came up to his shoulders. Yes, I know I'm short. I backed up and craned my head back to meet his gaze," Can I help you Colonel?" I asked with false sweetness.

     He looked down at me and stared right into my green eyes," How was your meeting with Lieutenant Cornwallis?" he asked, his british accent more pronounced.

     I shifted my bag," As well as could be expected." I eyed him once more before stepping around him, I turned and asked," Are there any empty rooms here?"

     He looked surprised by this but answered," Yes, there's one right down the hall." his eyes narrowed," Why do you ask?"

     I laughed and patted his arm," Don't worry Colonel, I'm not going to try and seduce you. I just want a place to change my clothes." as I started down the hall I heard him clear his throat before following me.