Day off

All characters and content belongs to the movie 'The Patriot' Enjoy! :)

-Cate

******************

     Even thought it was freezing, I was enjoying my extra hour of sleep in my tiny tent. I had passed out last night right after washing up in the small basin that had been brought in at some point of the night, and hadn't bothered to acknowledge the land of the living until now. With the sounds of stomping men just outside it felt as if there wasn't a barrier at all.

     I groaned and turned over to my right side and tried to close my eyes for my last few minutes of peace. Just as I pulled the blanket up further to cover my nose I heard a loud," Rise and shine Captain Stone!" The sound was so sudden that it caused me to flip off of the bed and onto the dirt floor. I scrambled to stand and pushed the tent flap out of the way.

     There stood Tavington, fully dressed and smirking in the bright morning light. I scowled and snapped," What do you want." as I came out of the tent, crossing my arms over my chest.

     Apparently he found my annoyance at his arrival funny because he laughed," I see someone is not fully awake yet." he looked at my mussed hair and lifted a curl and rubbed it between his fingers," Though it looks like you certainly did a lot of tossing and turning in your sleep Captain."

     I sighed and took my hair from his hand and shrugged one shoulder," I find it hard to sleep in a bed like that." I leaned back inside the tent and grabbed my vest and jacket and began to put them on," Are there some specific commands you have for me Colonel?" I asked, tucking my shirt into my pants.

     Tavington watched me as I dressed then nodded," I have been told that you, Bordon and I are to scout the nearby country side for extra food and medical supplies and return by sundown."

     I stopped dressing and put my hands on my hips," Wait. Isn't that a job for the field scouts?"

     He nodded a twinkle in his eye," It is."

     I narrowed my eyes and shifted my weight to one leg," Then why are we being sent out to do that job?"

     He chuckled and crossed his arms," I assume Lord Cornwallis expects us to encounter some devious rebels that simple field scouts couldn't handle," he smirked and nodded to my clothes," Finish dressing. We will ride out once you are ready." Turning his back to me, he headed off to where I could see Bordon eating his breakfast.

     When I was sure he couldn't see me I flipped him the bird and reached into my tent to grab my belt and sword. As I began to buckle my belt around my waist I remembered that, if my memory was correct, there would be a wounded private coming into camp tonight. And I thought that this would be an easy day, I thought, grabbing my helmet and mounting my horse.

     I rode over to where Tavington and Bordon sat, eating. When I stopped beside them they both looked up at me, mouths full with food. I leaned down and swipped a chunk of ham out of Tavington's hand," Well? You said we would get going once I was ready." I began to eat the ham, Bordon coughed to cover his laugh when I didn't take my eyes off of Tavington.

     Bordon stood and put his helmet on and I could see he was hiding a smile," I am ready. I'll just go get my horse." He looked between Tavington and me," Don't kill each other while I'm gone." he chuckled as he walked off.

     I looked away from Tavington and shifted in my saddle. While I was thinking about what was going on in Bordon's mind to make him say that I heard Tavington stand," Tell me Captain." I looked at him,"What did the men think of you in your hometown?" I was close to not answering him when he added," I would assume you would be engaged, if not married at your age."