chapter fourteen

It was now two days before I was scheduled to be released from my imprisonment of the stench of vomit, blood, and surgical tape, and I was still so exhausted. Because I would get so naseous, my entire diet consisted of only pudding, jello, instant Ramen, and applesauce.

"I brought you some food- why are you up?" Patrick exclaimed as he watched me struggled to place my two trembling feet on the floor.

"I should... move around a bit.... Since... I'm about to be discharged..." I groaned, a sharp pain radiating through my thigh every so often.

"No," Patrick gently pushed me back down. "I can tell you're not completely healed yet... You're in pain." He lifted my feet back up on the bed carefully, being especially causious not to trigger any pain in my leg. I winced, scooping up my blankets and spreading them over my body.

"I'm so sick of being bed-ridden..." I whined, my fingers rubbing my temples in a clockwise circular motion to sooth my headache.

"I know, I know..." he said soothingly, brushing a loose tendril of hair out of my face. "But you don't have much longer to wait until you're home free." I nodded, meeting his eyes again as I realized they were piercing mine. "I'm so sorry this happened to you."

I pressed my lips together in a hard line. "Me too. I won't go out alone again."

He half-smiled. "Is that a promise?"

"It is," I replied.

After Patrick and I talked for a while, I drifted off in the middle of the conversation, waking up about an hour later. I glanced to my right to see Patrick slumped over in his seat, his fedora drooped over his eyes, his lips slightly parted as he breathed softly, barely making a sound. I smiled, running through my fingers through my hair, ultimately deciding I needed a shower more than anything. I gripped the sides of the bed, limping softly and smoothly as to not wake Patrick.

I grabbed a strip of plastic from the counter, wrapping it around my wound before I peeled off my hospital gown and hopped into the shower. The faucet squeaked as the water trickled down the walls, cascading in a thin, warm sheet against my body. I hummed softly, rubbing a bit of shampoo into my hair before I heard my name being called faintly.

"Melanie?"

"I'm in the shower," I yelled back over the sound of the rushing water.

"Are you okay? Did you get in okay?"

I chuckled,"Yes, I'm fine. Don't worry. Go back to sleep." He was so concerned about me. He was worried sick about every tiny detail, no matter how minuscule, and I couldn't help but smile. It always led to wondering why he cared about me so much. What did he see in me?

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!" Once I was finished, I got out without a problem, grabbing a new undergarments and slipping them on under my gown. I twisted my damp hair over the sink, watching the water trickle into the bowl.

Crawling back into bed, I found Patrick asleep again. This was the first time I'd seen him sleep. It made me concerned that he hadn't slept this whole time he'd been watching over me.

"Melanie...." he whispered, his voice heavy with sleep, his glasses slipping off his nose.

"Patrick...." I giggled, resting my head on my knees. "Did you have a good nap?"

"Mhm..." he mumbled, rubbing his eyes with his cardigan. "Did you shower okay?"

"I did... You don't need to worry so much."

"Oh, but I do..."

"Why?" I asked, frowning.

"Because I care about you and I don't want you getting hurt again." I smiled big as he came toward me and sat on the edge of my bed. "I wouldn't be able to live with myself, y'know?"

"Yeah... Did you... Did you go home at all, this whole time?"

He shook his head. "No, of course not. I would never leave you. Who else would be here to watch you? Plus, I just had Joe bring me clothes and food."

"Yeah, I get that.... I just... I don't want to trouble you... I feel like a burden on you. You haven't even gotten that much rest."

He squeezed my hand with his, bringing warmth to my clammy skin. "Don't you even worry about me. I'm perfectly fine. It's you I'm worried about." His thumb slowly and carefully abrased the rough, jagged scars on my arm. "I'll stay awake all night for you." I smiled, my heart throbbing as his face inched close to mine. Oh my god.

His eyes, a mixture of blue and green, shimmered with plenty, two beautiful orbs that were indescribably breathtaking. They pierced mine; I didn't dare blink or look away, as if I was under a spell. His thumb grazed my cheek as his lips slowly touched mine, just barely. Is this happening? Is this a dream? He pressed his soft lips harder against mine, holding them there for what felt like eternity before he broke away, crimson flooding his cheeks. He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Uh, s-sorry..."

My words became stuck in my throat as I stared straight at him. I shook my head. "Sorry for.... what?"

He bowed his head down. "For what I just... did.. I just can't conceal it anymore, you know?"

Patrick Stump has feelings for me?

"Uh, y-yeah.. I know what you mean."

There was a brief moment of silence before he lifted his head again and grinned. "Can I kiss you again?" I nodded before his eyes glittered with lust and I melted into his kiss again.