chapter thirty-seven

songs for the chapter:

Only Love - Pvris

Everybody's Changing - Keane

Starwaves - M83

The room was small and the thick, musky stench of nicotine was too overwhelming for me, so I chose to stand out on the balcony while Tyler was showering.  He had been in there for at least forty five minutes.  Nevertheless, I didn't blame him. The showers back at the hospital were only a few feet wide and only ran hot water for five minutes at a time. 

Squeezing the railing, I leaned slightly over the side, watching the cars below mosey their way throughout the city.  Vegas.  I couldn't believe it.  I felt kind of bad now, for making Patrick driving that far almost every week.  

Patrick.

I really missed him.  Did he know I was even gone?  Had he visited the hospital only to find I had left suddenly?  They would be looking for me soon.  

A prolonged feeling of dread hung over me.  We weren't safe even here.  They probably knew we were here.  I knew I couldn't suffer the consequences, but they would be just as bad here.  I knew I wouldn't be able to perform anymore.  Not after all that.  I let thousands of people down.  Nothing would ever be the same.  I'm too hurt to act like this is some cliche fantasy like it was in the beginning.  I could never get my old life back.  

All my hopes.  All my dreams.  Vanquished in an instant.  All because of my foolishness. My corruption. If only I had made different choices, things wouldn't be this chaotic.  

Joe.  Andy.  Pete.  Patrick.  Mom....

Just like that, I.... I've failed you.  I've failed everyone.

I'm sorry.

"Melanie?"  Tyler's gentle voice called over the loud buzz of the bathroom fan.  "Could you grab me a towel."

"Coming," I replied, running a hand through my hair, which reminded me how much I need a haircut.  The towels were neatly folded on the shelf next to the door.  I grabbed one and slipped it through the small gap in the door.  

"Thanks.  Do you know what time it is?"

"About quarter til 11:00."

I heard him gasp.  "Shit.  He'll be here soon.  Hold on, I'm almost done."  I heard muffled thumps from inside the bathroom before the lights clicked off and Tyler emerged in a muscle tank in black jeans, ruffling his hair with a towel.  

"You look a bit better," I smiled, reaching over to touch his hair.  A small shock ran through my fingers, and my arm retracted quickly.  "Ow!  You shocked me!"

He giggled.  "Sorry, I must have created some friction.  I guess that's my defense mechanism."

I shook my head, chuckling.  "He's coming at 11, right?"

"S'pose to."

While we waited, I fixed us both some coffee since I assumed we wouldn't be sleeping much tonight anyway.  It was pretty decent for generic brand, though I didn't mind either way.  

It was about 11:10 when the tranquil silence was interrupted by a mellow knock on the door.  Tyler was half asleep, sprawl-eagled on the bed opposite of mine.  I decided not to bother him and scampered to open the door.

"Oh, hey... You must be Melanie," beamed a guy with striking red hair on the other side.  It was hidden under a baseball cap that had been flipped backwards, and a few curls were sticking out from under it.  His outfit was similar to Tyler's, besides the red and black flannel shirt he was wearing.  

"Y-yeah.  H-hi, J-"

"Josh."

"Yeah, I've heard a lot about you, Josh.  Come on in.  Tyler's asleep, but you can wake him up."

I beckoned him into the room and stepped aside as Josh crept next to Tyler, lightly tapping his shoulder.  Seeing that he wasn't prone to wake up that easily, he leaned down and pecked him on the cheek.  

Tyler's eyes slowly fluttered open.  He smiled tiredly.  "Hi, Joshie."

"Hey, sleepyhead." Tyler hooked his arms around Josh, pulling him on top of his body.  

"Uh.... I'll give you some privacy?" I mumbled, walking back out to the balcony, itching to escape the sounds of lip-smacking.  Gross.  

I waited there for ten whole minutes until they were done with their little pow-wow.  Tyler's face was scarlet red, as was Josh's, almost the exact color of his hair.  "Ready to go?"

"Definitely." 

Leaving the hotel, I was cautious as I kept in mind the possibility that some people may be aware of Tyler and I's escape.  I moved my hair into my face to conceal my eyes, which was immediately blown back by the wind outside.  

I had never been more eager to get in a car before.  I volunteered to take the backseat while Tyler crawled into the passenger seat next to Josh.  Their lips connected once more before the engine grumbled and began to move, weaving its way in between the sidewalks and gardens.  

Soon, we were on the empty highway, watching dark masses of trees whip by.  I leaned my head against the cool window, leaning my eyes towards the blanket of sky.  The drought of lights revealed the stars which were sporadically blotted out by the trees we passed.  

The atmosphere was tranquil and comforting, the most pleasant I had experienced in a long time.  I was filled with hope, and a warmth flooded my chest as my eyelids began to droop.  

I'm coming, Patrick.  See you soon.