chapter thirty

Today was the day the clouds parted and receded towards the promising horizon. Today the dark thoughts that constantly clouded my brain were being fought off by the simple thought that I was going to see the love of my life today. That was enough to pick me up out of bed, even if it was only for thirty minutes.

I sat still on the edge of my bed and curled my clammy toes against the cool tile that was painted with faint footprints. It was quite awful getting up in the morning for that reason since my feet were so delicate and raw from the lack of use.

I glanced at the dusty analog clock that hung on the wall. 12:20, it read. I had ten minutes until I saw him for the first time in weeks as a fully functional human being. I could hardly remember the last time.

I had been a monster. I had treated him like a stranger. My crackled memory didn't recognize his deep blue orbs that drowned with fear. I didn't recognize his soft lips or his gentle, calloused hands. He had not seen me with my memory now intact.

I thought about what it would be like. Would he wrap me in his welcoming arms and told me how much he missed me? Or would he not even recognize me? Would he want to be with me at all? What if he's changed? What if he starting seeing Taylor again? What if....

A loud and startling knock on the door jostled me out of my thoughts suddenly. The door clicked upon opening and Doctor Camryn materialized in the doorway. "Melanie, have you seen Tyler? He missed his private therapy session."

I stretched my mouth from side to side. "Mm, nope. Haven't seen him."
Tyler and Ashley had both snuck into the visiting room and were seeing their families and friends. Without permission of course. But I wasn't about to snitch.

Camryn paused for a brief moment, as if remembering something, and her eyes lit up quickly. "Oh, that reminds me. You have a visitor."

I grinned, and the oversized smile on my face caused one to form on her face as well. I was usually the type to stay expressionless.

"Follow me. Remember, you only have about thirty minutes, so make the most of it."

I followed Camryn down the winding flight of stairs until we came to a long hallway that intersected the lobby. Camryn's white coat billowed behind her as she strutted down the hall. I quickened my pace wondering how she could walk so fast in those 3 inch heels.

"Wait for me," I huffed.

She smiled warmly. "Relax, we're here."

I had found myself standing in front of a pair of large black doors. I assumed they were locked as Camryn reached into her coat pocket and pulled out a chain of keys, the familiar jingle of metal cutting off the silence in the empty hallway as she rotated the key in the lock of the door and pushed it open.

There was no time to prepare myself mentally for being reunited with him-
I didn't need to prepare, really.

I wasn't able to notice the peeling white walls or the stained purple carpet under my feet. I didn't notice that the door was shut behind me.

All I noticed were a were of strong arms being wrapped around me, squeezing me like a toy.

"Patrick," I whispered, the silent tearful taking its toll. I rubbed small circles into his back as he buried his face in my shoulder. He didn't speak a word or hardly move, so I simply stood there holding him, basking in the heat of his breath.

"You're... you're okay?" he said huskily, still pressing his face into my shoulder. "Your memory is back?"

"Yeah, I'm okay." A single tear slid down my face as I drank in the lucidity of his expression. I almost forgot how much he truly cared. I had never realized how infatuated I was with him.

It's strange how much stronger relationships become when two people become separated. The process is painful, and the dull ache that constantly plagues your body and your mind, only making you miss the other more is all worth the prize.

Pulling me into a kiss, I hummed softly into his lips, damp from tears. I wrapped myself up in his heat. It was one of these rare moments that the voices and noises were hushed, as if they had given up.

"How much longer do we have?" he breathed, only a couple inches from my face.

"About twenty minutes."

He pressed his hands into my back and kissed me again as if I was his only source of oxygen. "When are you letting you out?"

I pulled away, lacing my hands together behind his back. "I don't know. Not until I've improved. I..."

"What?"

"They told me I'm schizophrenic."

His eyes, once tranquil, instantly become shrouded with worry, his brow furrowing with concern.

"Oh." His lips parted slightly as if there were more words to depart from his tongue, but he was silent.

Speechless.

I knew he would feel this way.

"They... They have me on some good medication. I'm getting better. I might be out in a month or so," I assured him.

He turned his back to me, and he bowed his head down to the point where it appeared as if he was a headless pair of shoulders. "Melanie... What happened that night they put you in the hospital?"

I clenched my jaw. "I'm not sure. I just remember some.... crazy dream. They said I hit my head. Then red."

"How could you have hit your head so hard to make you lose your memory?"

"I have no idea, Patrick. I must've have slipped in the bath. That's the last thing I remember before everything... turned into a nightmare."

I expected that to assure him. Only it didn't, and his eyes only grew with moisture before he spoke with shaky words.

"I promised I would never leave you alone. After the night you were alone and ended up in the hospital, I promised. And I broke that. I shouldn't have left."

"Patrick, it's not your fault."

"But it is! I'm your boyfriend! I'm supposed to protect you."

"No," I said quietly. "I should have gone with you. Stop taking the blame for everything. I know this is a bad situation that we're not sure how to handle. But I'm getting help, I'm getting better. Please, don't beat yourself up over this. I'm going to be okay."

I stepped forward and placed my hand in his. "....We're going to be okay."