chapter twenty-six

"Let me see her. Please!"

"I'm sorry. She's in critical condition. We'll have to bring her to the ICU."

"Is she going to be okay?"

"....I don't know, sir. I'm sorry."

-

My throat felt like cotton. My mind state was like that of a child's. My head, oh. It felt as if someone was pressing a white-hot iron again my scalp, my head splitting apart from the core-

And then I began to scream. I screamed and cried, my body racking itself with violent sobs, each one capturing my breath and clasping my chest with its iron grip. My eyes were closed. I couldn't stand to open them.

Then I saw him. Him. The wretched man that did this to me.

"You-"

He pressed a finger to his lips, hushing me. He then morphed into something so twisted, so disturbing- and lunged at me.

"Careful, girl."

"We warned you."

"Go back to sleep."

The sound began deep in my abdomen, clawing its way through my stomach, ripping past my lungs and up my throat- it was a hideous sound.

I screamed and tore my way to the floor-

"Melanie." The voice was low, scratchy, spoken by several different throats.

"S-stop! Leave me alone!"

"Melanie! Melanie?" The voice morphed, now gentle and relaxed.

Something cold was pressed against my body, and my ears perked at the sound of phones ringing and people talking.

What?

I cringed, opening my eyes, the light piercing my face. Several distorted figures loomed over me, muttering amongst themselves. They seemed worried. I sat up slowly, the pain faded, hardly there.

I was in the hospital. Not in bed. In the center of the lobby, sprawled on the floor. I recieved confused stares from everyone around me.

"Melanie, you're okay!" A man wrapped his arms around me. I began to panic. I didn't know this man. He was going to hurt me, wasn't he?

I pushed him off and whimpered, crawling away from him.

"Melanie, it's me, it's Joe..."

"Who's Melanie? Who?" I stuttered, pulling my gown down over my thighs.
"Who are you? Leave me alone!"

A man in a leather jacket and gentle hazel eyes knelt down next to me. "Do you know what your name is?"

"Uh, I..." I swallowed hard. "My head hurts," I whimpered.

"Nurse?"

It wasn't long before I collapsed.