chapter thirty-three

Patrick was furious.  

He was shaking with anger, but his cheeks glistened with tear tracks.

I had never seen him this upset.  He was so tense that the veins inside his neck and forehead were bulging out.  I thought he might have a stroke. 

"I know it's not your fault, but- God, Melanie, what are we going to do?  There's going to be talk.  I'm surprised our fans don't know already!"

I twisted my hair from root to tip like the fragile stem of a flower.  I drew my sheet-clad knees to my chest.  "I... don't know, Patrick.  I wish I knew what to do, but I don't.  You have to be patient.  I'm sick.  It isn't my fault."

He pinched the bridge of his nose and paced the length of the room.  I watched him go left, right, left, right, left...... 

"I'm sorry.  I know you can't help this," he said gently, kneeling down next to the bed and pulling my hands from my hair to squeeze the warmth back into them. "We're going to get you the treatment you need.  Whatever they're doing obviously isn't working."

"The staff here is awful.  All they do is complain.  They don't do shit." 

Patrick furrowed his brow.  "We need to get you somewhere better, then."

I shook my head. "I don't think we need to do that yet.  We should give it more time."

"Okay," he agreed, "but just say the word and I'll get you out of here."

I smiled.  "I love you," I said, to which he reciprocated with a soft kiss.  My lips moved in response, following his movements.  I pulled him up on top of me as the kiss deepened.  His kiss was the air I breathe, the blood in my veins, and being connected with his lips again was well worth the wait.  I hadn't even realized how much I craved him, how much I missed him.  I was too focused on what was in my head that I didn't realized the love of my life was out there, missing me and wondering if I felt that same dull ache in the pit of my stomach. 

I had missed him so much a part of me had changed.  A part of me that was hesitant previously.  I needed him. 

"Patrick...." I whispered against his lips as my hands tangled themselves in his messy mop of brown hair.  "I'm ready.  I want to do it."

He pulled away for a second and frowned.  "Do what?"

I rolled my eyes.  "You know what."

He gasped.  "Oh.... You mean... do the thing?  Like the thingy thing?"

I giggled.  "Shut the hell up before I change my mind."  I lifted my head to kiss him again, harsher this time.  One of the things I loved about him was the way he kissed.  He managed to do it differently each time, his lips moving in a unique shape that would drive me wild. 

He pulled away again.  "Are you sure, Melanie?  I mean, because of your mental state-"

"Am I interrupting something here?" a sheepish voice said, frightening Patrick to the point that he rolled off me and onto the floor.

"Tyler!" I gasped, sitting up quickly.  Patrick popped up from the floor next to me. "I'm sorry, oh my god."

"It's cool," he chuckled.  "I just wanted to bring you some cookies from the kitchen.  I kinda stole them."  

Patrick's wonderful blue orbs widened. "Wait.  You're- you're....." he squeaked.

"You're Patrick Stump!" Tyler beamed.  "Why didn't you tell me you were dating Patrick fuckin' Stump?"  

I shrugged.  

"Oh my fuck," Patrick said, walking towards him. "I'm crazy about your music man, it's one of my greatest inspirations.  Melanie and I actually used to jam to it in the car."

"Are you kidding?  I can say the exact same for Fall Out Boy!  I never dreamed I would see you in the flesh."

I giggled as Patrick squealed like a schoolgirl.  They were practically fanboying over each other, and it was just about the funniest and most peculiar thing I had ever seen.

I cleared my throat.  "Uh, sorry to interrupt you fangirls, but I am starving.  Bring those cookies over here!"  

Tyler chuckled.  "Sorry, Melanie, here."  He placed the plate in my lap.  I eagerly peeling the Saran wrap from the plate and tossed a chocolate chip cookie in my mouth whilst handing one to Patrick and Tyler.

"These are still fresh, how did you get them?" Patrick gaped, greedily stuffing one into his mouth.

Tyler shrugged.  "What can I say, I'm sneaky."

I grabbed another.  I hadn't had anything this delicious since I was admitted here three months ago.  I didn't even know they made anything good here.  "Tyler, thank you so much.  You're really sweet."

Patrick smiled. He reached over to pat him on the back.  "Yeah, thanks, dude."

"No problem.  You can keep the rest.  Those cookies are pretty sick."

"Speaking of sick," I began, "Are you feeling better?"

Tyler nodded.  "Oh yeah.  I'm a bit shaky still, but a lot better from the other night.  Must have been a stomach bug or something.  Nothing too bad."

I grinned. "You sure healed fast.  I'm glad."

In spite of everything that had happened in the past twenty-four hours, I was in a decent mood.  I loved having Patrick here and Tyler always knew how to make me happy.  I'm not sure what I'd do without him, especially since he was the one who caught me trying to.... y'know. I owed a lot to him.  

hey everybody! i know these past few chapters have been pretty dark and sad and scary, so i thought i would add this one to brighten things up a bit.  thank you all for reading and giving me feedback and voting!  I already have over 1,000 votes, that is crazy!  thank you guys so much! also, if you want to talk to me on kik, my name is soccerpanda23.  maybe ill make a group so we can all talk!  anyway, thanks for reading!  

- liesl