Chapter 7

Principality of Qua-Toyne, City of Igyonge, Western gate

After killing the first wave of the towns guard right outside the gate they had broken through following an airstrike, the entire military brigade moved deeper into the enemy city.

Only the roaring engine of the Solaskvan war machine blasted the entire region while still generating smoke from the exhaust pipe and as Solaskvan soldiers marched down the debris-filled roadway side by side with the armored column in the center.

Particularly considering the fact that the rest of the troops were compelled to wear gas masks throughout the city to shield their nasal passages from the potent stench and to safeguard the soldiers from contracting any unknown infections that lingers in the enemy territory.

The road was covered in bodies from both citizens and guards, some of which were squashed under the debris from numerous buildings. Others passed away from starvation and a lack of basic nutrients.

"I felt pity for them..."a young private commented, eyeing on a deceased child no more than 10 yrs squashed by the huge stone debri.

"Yes, I have heard that most of the aristocrats in this city are corrupt," his partner said, joining him in the armored column. "Our food and technologies would undoubtedly gain more support, especially in places like the Slums."

"You're right on that one, we accidentally invaded the Principality of Qua-Toyne instead of the Commonwealth. We kinda use our supply shit as an act of apology for them, or something. "The young private sighs under his G-3 Gas mask.

"You bet." His partner responded, stepping over a small puddle of blood with his boot.

So far, they haven't seen or heard any survivors from the slums through which they are marching. Perhaps the airstrike exterminated the last individuals that lived here. Others had already perished from malnutrition or sickness.

The soldiers were confronted with the remains of the military garrison they were supposed to capture, shortly after the armed battalion reached the end of the rubbled path. The structure is reminiscent of one of Myhark's own military outposts.

Surprisingly, the garrison also has a simple long dirt runaway for wyvern knights to take off into the sky, but it's in poor condition.

Wyvern pens were decimated by their own aircraft, leaving only minced meat and scales beneath the wreckage of their enclosures. Not only that, the bodies of murdered soldiers were scattered throughout the garrison, and they most likely perished without feeling any pain from the explosion.

As soon as the troops approach the city's shattered enemy garrison, they start to disperse following the same strategy they employed not too long ago.

The first building wasn't safe since the first riflemen tore the wooden door in two with their combat boot, allowing the other infantrymen to rush the tiny structure.

and as they stepped into the building, they came across a dead man leaning against a desk. The person's face had already been flattened by a piece of stone debris which had fallen directly into his head.

Nevertheless, the deceased man's attire was lavishly embroidered and appeared more opulent than that of the other soldiers who had died outside.

"What do you think,Sarge?" Low-ranking riflemen questioned him while he was breathing through his gas mask.

"Highly undoubt,"the sergeant said, slightly pushing the corpse with the barrel of his gun to see what else was in the center.

Backing off from the dead man's corpse, the staff sergeant reached for his radio communicator that is attached onto the vest strap.