chapter 1

INDIYAH

I watched as my mom finished up cleaning at the diner she works at, Joe's Humble-A-Toad. A diner in a small town in Wisconsin.

Her dark black curls falling to her face as she scrubs this stubborn spot on one of the tables. I take in her the dark circles under her eyes from working late all the time and the tired lines embedded in her forehead from constantly frowning at ridiculous customers. 

Eyeing my mother once more, I stand up and take one of the rags from the cleaning bucket and get to scrubbing with her. She pauses and gives me a small, grateful smile and continues. 

Joe's Humble-A-Toad... The name is ridiculous, I'm aware. 

I once brought it up to my mother when I was ten and unfortunately Joe overheard my complaint, and soon after I was stuck in a toad costume waving at people to come eat at the diner. 

That day I stormed back in the diner when it was time to close, and looked for Joe. He was laughing at something with my mother. Not only did he force me to stay outside in the hot sun in a stupid, big, toad costume, but he's flirting with MY mother too?

"JOE, YOU BIG DUMB TOAD!" I yelled at him. I threw the toad's head at his dumb face, and stomped my feet while cursing him out with the vocabulary I learnt from my mother. Hey, she cursed a lot while trying to untangle my hair. 

I was sweaty, and gross, and ten. Could you blame me for the tantrum.

She dragged me away from Joe while giving him an apologetic look. The dumb toad just smiled at her, "See you tomorrow, Mandy!"

She then shot me a disappointed look and we got in the car.

"See you tomorrow, Mandy." I mocked. 

She smacked my hand and gave me her 'i'm about to lecture you face.'

"That was inappropriate behavior, Jellybean. That's my boss and you have to learn how to respect him because you're seeing more of him from now on," she sighed and continued, "I'm working later shifts because of grown-up reasons, so please make this easier on me."

I let go of my attitude, and looked down at the ground, focusing on the stack of paperwork my mom leaves in the car.

Observing my silence, she just pets my hair and starts the car.

As I got older, seeing my mother work so hard made me want to work even harder in my academics. Maybe then I could pay the rest of my tuition and even be able to go to college.

My father ran off on my mother when I was about 6. My mother doesn't have an explanation to this day. But I have a speculation it's most likely about my mother's past. 

See, my mom wasn't well off, but she did indeed come from a very wealthy family. Her father established Greenwood Academy, a very prestigious school that can basically ensure your success the moment of your entry. She was the sole heir, and had an arranged marriage with some random rich guy. 

Obviously, LOVE PREVAILS!

 No, I'm just joking around, she just didn't want it to happen. So, she ran off, got pregnant, yada yada yada.

"So," My reminiscent thoughts were interrupted, "I had an envelope arrive today at work." I glanced up and stopped wiping the table I was working on. 

"What's up?" I questioned.

 She looked...serious for once. She grabbed the envelope out of one of the pockets in her apron, handed it to me gently, and continued wiping down the table.

 I went to sit down at one of the booths, and focused on examining the envelope. What's with the fancy green stamp? I carefully opened it, not wanting to ruin the product inside. I took the letter from inside and read it slowly, really taking it all in.

"Oh...OH?" I shouted as I dropped the envelope, and my frantic behavior caused my mom to drop her rag.

I looked up at her, and then back down at the envelope like it was a gross bug. I double checked the school name, and looked back up at her for the second time.

"Um, what am I supposed to do with this?" I said with a disgusted face. 

"First, don't make that face, you look constipated. Second, I hate that it had to come to this but they just can't provide you the education you need at this school and it'll give you more opportunities." 

"Mom..." 

She let out a tired sigh, "Look, I don't want this any more than you do, but I also care about your future. Just think on it, okay?"

After she locked up the diner, we headed home.

We owned an apartment with one room, but my mom made me take the room and decided her bed would be our thrifted couch. 

I argued about it every now and then, especially whenever I see her tossing and turning every time I come out to get a midnight snack. 

She's a very stubborn lady...

She unlocks the front door of our home and plops face first on the couch, seconds later she starts snoring.

I let out a small chuckle, and head to my room. I lay down on my mattress and look up at the ceiling. 

I was unsure about my acceptance at Greenwood Academy, I mean I didn't even apply to get accepted? No doubt, it was another one of my grandfather's ploy to get my mom back into his life...or take back his control of hers, no doubt.

My mom told me after she left, she didn't get far so she just hid in her friend's loft. 

That wasn't such a good hiding place I'm guessing since he'd send his assistant there everyday to get her to come back. I'm guessing she couldn't face him though, you know, with the running away from her arranged spouse with an affair baby or whatever. 

So she bid farewell, and left Italy to come to this small, unknown town.

Even while I was growing up, I'd see countless letters from him. How he knew where she fled to was mind boggling to me, but soon the letters stop coming around my fifteenth birthday so we both thought he just miraculously gave up.

Up until now? 

***

What's your favorite song?

Thank you for reading the first chapter! Make sure to vote, comment, and follow!