chapter 2

INDIYAH

Days after receiving my acceptance letter, I decide to go to Greenwood Academy.

Partially, for myself as my mother wished and partially, I want to learn more about my mother...and meet my grandfather.

ONLY because I want him to feel the brute force of built up teenage angst!

I drag myself off my mattress and put my charm bracelet with a green frog on, the bracelet was given to me by Joe on my thirteenth birthday.

Me and Joe, Joe and I... I'll miss our daily arguments. He's like my replacement father. I secretly love him but no one needs to know that.

I pack a photo of my mom and what seems to be her friend group when she was younger, a bunch of crazy people jumping into an ocean is what it looks like.

Maybe I could find some of her old friends and interrogate them..

Lastly, I go to the back of my mother's closet to see if I want to steal anything from her since I won't be able to until the holidays.

I see a nice, grungy looking coat. A little oversized but it'll do.

I walk into to the kitchen where my mom is taking a bite into her overly grilled cheese sandwich.

"Oh my gosh, who will help you not burn your sandwiches while I'm gone!" I exclaim while dramatically slapping my hands to my face.

Joe barges through the front door with a cheeky smile, "I think she'll be fine."

"Ugh Joe...better keep your hands off my mother while I'm gone."

He laughs while grabbing my suitcases, he goes to put them in the car, leaving me to talk to my mother alone.

She goes to embrace me, and squeezes me so tightly I can barely breathe.

"I'm gonna miss you so much, Jellybean"

I turn my head, "Mama, I'm gonna still call you every night."

She finally lets go and smacks my head, "You better!"

We race to the car, and I have to endure my mom and Joe playing awful music. I swear they started playing Ed Sheeran at one point.

I look out the window, my leg mindlessly bouncing rapidly. I'm a little anxious about being away from my mom. I mean, the longest I've been away from her is at a classmate's sleepover, which I ended up going home early anyways since I was homesick.

We finally make it to the airport, and I decide not to make them follow me in. I didn't want to change my mind last minute and follow my mom back home.

Joe gets out to help me get my suitcases from the trunk, and gives me a long, big "toad" hug. It's a thing that has formed along the years, whenever I'm sad he'd give me a big hug and the nickname 'Big Toad' kinda stuck after I called him it for the first time, it's his contact name too.

He kisses the top of my head and heads back in the car, a few minutes pass and I don't see my mom getting out of the car to see goodbye.

I peek into the passenger seat to see her crying, I knock on the drivers window and it rolls down. Joe leans back and she reaches over him to grab my hand and kisses it, "You better not do anything I wouldn't do."

I laugh and let go, "Mama you know I wouldn't."

They drive off and I turn towards the airport and check myself in.

ATLAS

"ATLAS!" Simon shouted so loud the whole dormitory could probably hear. I rolled over and covered my head with a pillow. 

I do not have time for this right now, especially since it's five in the fucking morning. 

"ATLAS!!" Simon shouted, once again. 

God, please send him away. 

The pillow was snatched from my head, causing my hair to be even more of a disheveled mess. 

"Can you please get up early for once and hear my very special news that I overheard from one of the girls?" he complained. 

I finally sat up and stared at him menacingly.

 "I'll take that as a yes," he chuckled, "there's talk of the headmaster's daughter joining us today...and I think since you're the top student, you have to show her around." 

Okay, well this was great news to start my morning. I patted him on the head and went back under my covers.

 Simon pulled the covers off, threw them across the room, and threw my uniform at me. "For fucks sakes man, get yourself together and don't piss of the headmaster again."

 The dorm door slammed behind him, and the only sound I'm left with his retreating foot steps.

 I trudged out of my bed to get ready, and wondering what she could possibly be like.

***

What's your favorite food?

Thank you for reading the second chapter! Make sure to vote, comment, and follow!