chapter 3

INDIYAH

I have about an hour left on the flight to the academy...and I think I already want to back out.

 My mom isn't doing so hot either since she calls me every 10 minutes. 

They put me next to some kid who won't stop fidgeting with his seatbelt. I shot him a withering glare and his mother from across the row caught it somehow, looking at me like I committed a crime. 

Great.

 I'm being a dick to a random child. I guess being so far away from my mother was taking a toll on me. I picked at my hands anxiously, a habit that started since elementary. 

Maybe sleeping would distract me?

I awoke from my short livid slumber, to see that I finally made it to the airport. I left the airplane just as anxious as I was when I entered it. 

Now, I don't quite remember the details of who was supposed to pick me up. At the entrance of the airport I spotted a dark emerald limousine, surely it can't be my ride. 

Okay. 

It might be. 

I approached the vehicle awkwardly. I certainly did not look like I should be entering such a luxurious vehicle in my current state. 

Messy hair, smudged mascara, and I'm pretty sure I'm wearing my 8th grade graduation sweatshirt with sweat pants. Maybe I should've cleaned up better now that I think of it. 

I knocked on the window softly and waved. The driver didn't even look at me, he just automatically opened the door and acknowledged me just by saying, "Miss. Alow."

Alright, well if that wasn't the sweetest greeting.

-

The school was ginormous. I wish I was exaggerating but it was like Hogwarts, but more sleek and modern. I grabbed my rather old bookbag and stumbled out of the limousine.

 "Thank you by the-"

 I turned to close the door behind me, but the driver already closed the door somehow and was speeding off to who knows where. 

Rude!

I clumsily grabbed my suitcases and rushed to the main office. 

In the office, there was a large sitting area with a fireplace and tv. I placed my stuff on one of the couches, silently hoping no one would go through anything. I'm already so far from home so hopefully no one takes my belongings.

 I went up to the reception, staring at the office lady like a rather lost puppy.

"Hello darlin', my name is Ms. Van, but you can call me Ruthie!" She shot me the most sweetest smiles anyone has ever given me. Before I could start speaking, she inspected me. "Hmm, your face looks rather familiar..."

"Oh, well, my name is Indiyah Alow. My grandfather is actually-"

"Never mind that! Here's your school map, schedule, and what dorm you'll be staying in! Wish I could chat more, but I have to catch my favorite soap before it passes." Before I could protest, all of the items were shoved into my arms and she closed her little window blinds on me. 

What's with all the people from this place not letting me speak.

I went to explore around the school a little to kill time, when I stumbled upon the library. There wasn't really anyone in there except the librarian and this one girl hunched across one of the tables furiously sketching. 

I debated with myself whether I should go over there and talk to her. 

No, she's probably busy... but how would I know if I don't just check. Actually, no maybe- 

"Hello?" a soft, British accent filled the room.

 I turn back to her and she's giving me a rather quizzical look. "I don't think I've seen you before." She glances at the chair next to her and nods her head. 

"Um.. yeah, I'm actually new." I look down and pick at my hands. 

I never really interacted much with the kids at my school, or people in general. It was way too much work to get to know people when they never really put in the effort to get to know me. 

People just assumed me and my mother were some snobby richy rich people who were shunned from their old community.

 We were quickly cast aside with the label "stuck-up" and eventually, people forgot about our existence aside from Joe. 

Sensing my inability to socialize that well, she gave me an understanding, small smile. "Ah, I've heard some whisperings here and there about the headmaster's granddaughter coming to our 'brilliant' school." 

My head instantly shot up, dropping my hands to the sides. It's been a couple of days since I'VE even found out I was coming here, they all already are aware of my presence? 

"Dude, this is too much too soon." I admitted, heaving a big great sigh. 

She chuckled, her bangs getting in her face as she looks back down at her sketch. "What's your name?" 

"Indiyah..."

"Indiyah Alow" 

"Well then, Indiyah Alow, just you wait. The people here itself will be too much for you, but worry not, I, Anya Varma, will make sure to stick by your side."

I smiled at the thought of already having a friend. My mother would be proud knowing I've already made friends, I played with the gold pendant necklace my mother put in my hand before I left.

I ended up noticing when I boarded, and quickly put it on.

 The pendant was shaped as a magnifying glass with the initial A engraved in it.

"Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. Anya, back off the new girl would ya? Gotta show her around." a deep voice from behind me rumbled smoothly.

Authors Note:

What's your favorite animal?

Thank you for reading the third chapter! Make sure to vote, comment, and follow!