The Start

Hyunjin thought he caught a glimpse of a familiar face standing in a corner, alone. But when he looked again, that familiar face was not there anymore. He went on entertaining his guests, as he was presenting his first one-man show. Hyunjin is a well-known photographer, his expertise are in the lines of capturing the beauty of urban life. This profession had been inspired by someone from his past. Someone who believed in him and his talent. Someone who was, and still is, very dear to him.

"I'm sure I had sent him an invite for tonight." He thought to himself.

He had dedicated this show to that person. Through out the night, Hyunjin has been making sure he didn't miss that person if he ever did came. But to his disappointment, he never saw that familiar face. The night rolled on. All the glamour and formalities have been presented. Most if not all of Hyunjin's work have been sold. Except for one portrait that he had marked as "not for sale", it was the portrait of his inspiration giver taken many years ago. A smile he never forgot. A smile, that to this day, makes him happy whenever he looks at it. As the night ended, and the last guest escorted out the door, Hyunjin decided to go to a nearby bar and unwind, think about what just happened and make sure it had not been a dream. Unbeknownst to him, familiar eyes have been following his every move from a distance. Smiling whenever Hyunjin smiled, holding back tears of pride for a friend's success, a friend he had not seen for a long time. As soon as Hyunjin stepped out of the gallery and headed for the bar, the familiar eyes followed, walking behind Hyunjin, not close enough for Hyunjin to sense him, but not too far for him to lose sight of Hyunjin.

Hyunjin entered the bar, he followed moments later. He saw Hyunjin sit at the bar, ordered a drink and nursed it till it was time to order again. He hesitated before deciding to approach Hyunjin.

"Congratulations on your show! Your photos looked great!" he said, trying hard not to stutter or sound desperate.

He was standing behind Hyunjin now. He was not sure if he heard him, he spoke in the softest way possible.

Hyunjin heard it. That familiar deep voice. He stopped mid drink. He could not believe he heard what he just heard. He slowly put down his glass and smiled. Fighting tears from rolling down his cheeks.

"He did come! He did get the invite!" he said to himself.

He turned towards where the voice came from. There he was, standing in front of him. Smiling. He has grown too, just like him. I can see him smiling at me, but his eyes has lost its glitter. "Felix!" he said. With two long strides, he got to him quick and gave him a hug.

Surprised by the hug, Felix let go of a small laugh. "Hyunjin!" he exclaimed. He returned the hug and patted Hyunjin on the back. Hyunjin gave him a pat on the head like he used to do.

"You came! I was hoping you would! Thank you!" Hyunjin said.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world! My friend, a renowned photographer, invited me to his one-man show!! Are you kidding me?" Felix said, trying not to cry in that moment.

They stood there hugging each other for a while. Making sure that moment wasn't a dream. Just hugging each other. Letting each other's silence talk. Then Hyunjin invited Felix to sit with him at the bar. They ordered drinks and just talked the whole time. Catching up on each others lives, as if it had not been years passed since the last time they talked. Felix now has his own restaurant. Quite successful too. And he has a significant other in his life. Felix found out that Hyunjin is still single. Never had anyone at anytime. That bit of information made him happy deep inside. He was not sure why it did, but it did.

Both of them fell silent for a moment. Felix, tending to his drink. Hyunjin, hands nursing his almost empty glass, but his eyes were fixed on Felix.

"I'm really happy you came, Felix." smiling at his friend sincerely.