CH 3: Bated Breaths

>> Xiǎojiě/Xiaojie (Shao jee-ay) = Miss, young lady/young woman, who is likely unmarried<<

Prizzy's POV

My curls blew about on a warm gentle breeze and tickled my face

My curls blew about on a warm gentle breeze and tickled my face. When I opened my eyes, I was in a quaint room that was carved into the side of a mountain. Bright golden sunlight shined in on carved stairs that led through a large round opening of stone. My heavy eyes closed as I slipped back into the bliss of sleep.

Suddenly my heart began to race as flashes of my journey played out in my mind.  My eyes snapped open as I sat up hastily. Sweat began to pool on my brow and confusion shook my head back and forth as my breathing quickened.

Where am I... How did I....

The pain in my head forced my hand to caress it. As I tried to calm myself a lash of sapphire blue caught my eye. It was my patchwork cloak, and leather belt laying on a low table across from me. Next to the cloak was a wooden pitcher and set of tiny bowls. A dryness in my throat forced me to gulp and reach down instinctively to my neck. My body hurt something terrible, and my head spun. I needed water badly, but I couldn't help but feel apprehensive.

This was not a cell, and nor was I shackled.  I must not be in the hands of those that hunted me because.... I am still alive.

On shaking legs I walked over to the setting and lifted the pitcher to my nose. It smelled cleaner than any water I was used to, and no other scent was present. I poured some in a cup, took a deep breath, closed my eyes and swallowed it in one go. 

Oh...

The water tasted so pure and ever-so sweet. I poured another and another. I drank so fast that I had so catch my breath in between cups. I set the cup down, looking then to the mound of nearly unrecognizable fabric that laid on the table next to me. I ran my hand over my patchwork cloak and belt. It was completely cleaned of the layers upon layers of filth that covered it before. My hair ribbon had been washed as well and even my foraging belt was polished and mended. I reached to my chest, searching for the familiar curio from my Papa that I carried with me always.

No.... It. It is... It is gone!

I stood frantically and searched the bed thoroughly, lifting the pillows and shaking the quilt, but it was not there. I spun around and rushed over to a wooden vanity near the bed. It had delicate linens and a basin of water. Just above the vanity was a small wooden shelf that held a lit candle on an iron cast. Next to the candle, on a thin twine, laid the precious site of two carved bells. Relief washed over me as I quickly nabbed them and brought them to my lips then strung them around my neck.